multiple ipv6 addresses for a client

Eugene M. Zheganin
Hi,

is there a way to assign multiple IPv6 addresses toi a client, say one
IPv6 public address and one unique-local address ? When I define
shared-network with 2 subnet inside it only the first seems to be
working - none is assigned from the seconf subnet.

Thanks.

Eugene.

Re: multiple ipv6 addresses for a client

Brice Abba
Hi Eugene,

Try to assigne one IPv6 address per each subnet on the interface of the router connected to the appropriate subnet.

(Client) ------- 2 IPv6 addresses one per subnet-(Router) ------- (DHCP Server)

Regards,

Hi,

is there a way to assign multiple IPv6 addresses toi a client, say one IPv6 public address and one unique-local address ? When I define shared-network with 2 subnet inside it only the first seems to be working - none is assigned from the seconf subnet.

Thanks.

Eugene.

Brice ABBA
www.afrinic.net

Re: multiple ipv6 addresses for a client

Henri Wahl
Hi Eugene,

check dhcpy6d at https://dhcpy6d.ifw-dresden.de which allows to do
exactly this.

Biggest problem in this scenario will be the clients behaving
differently between OSes. We made best experiences with all Windows
flavours since Windows 7. Newer NetworkManager in Linux finally does
cooperate with multiple addresses, but macOS still just takes only one.

Which client OS did you check?

Regards
Henri

Am 04.07.2017 um 18:10 schrieb Eugene M. Zheganin:

> Hi,
>
> is there a way to assign multiple IPv6 addresses toi a client, say one
> IPv6 public address and one unique-local address ? When I define
> shared-network with 2 subnet inside it only the first seems to be
> working - none is assigned from the seconf subnet.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Eugene.

Henri Wahl

IT Department
Leibniz-Institut fuer Festkoerper- u.
Werkstoffforschung Dresden

tel: +49 (3 51) 46 59 - 797
email: [hidden email]
https://www.ifw-dresden.de

Nagios status monitor Nagstamon: https://nagstamon.ifw-dresden.de

DHCPv6 server dhcpy6d: https://dhcpy6d.ifw-dresden.de

S/MIME: https://nagstamon.ifw-dresden.de/pubkeys/smime.pem
PGP: https://nagstamon.ifw-dresden.de/pubkeys/pgp.asc

IFW Dresden e.V., Helmholtzstrasse 20, D-01069 Dresden
VR Dresden Nr. 1369
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Burkard Hillebrands, Dr. Doreen Kirmse

0x83E6CEC2.asc (3K) Download Attachment

On 05.07.2017 03:37, Henri Wahl wrote:

> Hi Eugene,
>
> check dhcpy6d at https://dhcpy6d.ifw-dresden.de which allows to do
> exactly this.
>
> Biggest problem in this scenario will be the clients behaving
> differently between OSes. We made best experiences with all Windows
> flavours since Windows 7. Newer NetworkManager in Linux finally does
> cooperate with multiple addresses, but macOS still just takes only one.
>
> Which client OS did you check?

Well... I'm testing on the dhcp6c under FreeBSD.

Funny thing, seems like I'm asking almost same question for the second
time in theis list, looks like it's really the client implementaion, not
the server one that matters the most.

Thanks.

Eugene.

Re: multiple ipv6 addresses for a client

Simon Hobson
Eugene M. Zheganin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Funny thing, seems like I'm asking almost same question for the second time in theis list, looks like it's really the client implementaion, not the server one that matters the most.

Well yes - the client needs to ask for "something". It is not clear to me just how the client is supposed to decide what to ask for, or what address to use for what - that seems to be a problem with the "lots of addresses, potentially in multiple prefixes" part of IPv6.

There is an IPv6 Ops mailing list (https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops) where this might be a suitable question to ask. That's primarily a talking shop for people defining how things should work, but where something like this is "unclear" or "undefined" it's probably worth asking over there - if nothing else, so that the regulars know that there's a "user problem" that needs addressing.

Re: multiple ipv6 addresses for a client

Henri Wahl
> Well... I'm testing on the dhcp6c under FreeBSD.
>
> Funny thing, seems like I'm asking almost same question for the second
> time in theis list, looks like it's really the client implementaion, not
> the server one that matters the most.

Is the ISC dhclient available on FreeBSD? In my experience this
implementation takes multiple addresses if provided by server.