fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Nate Collins
Hello,

Is there a setting that controls whether or not fixed-address leases
in dhcpd.conf will get added to the dhcpd.leases file? We have a
use-case where we would like them to be, and they aren't on 4.3.3 (or
we unknowingly have a setting preventing them from getting added). I
took a look through the various manpages and didn't see anything relevant.

Thanks, Nate

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Brennan,Andrew
I have wanted this for years - that lease entry would let me know whether or not the machine is still configured to acquire it’s address via DHCP or if the enduser has taken it upon themselves to manually configure the host.  If this ends up as a feature request, I’m +1 here.

andrew.

> On Mar 27, 2020, at 2:35 PM, Nate Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> External.
>
> Hello,
>
> Is there a setting that controls whether or not fixed-address leases
> in dhcpd.conf will get added to the dhcpd.leases file? We have a
> use-case where we would like them to be, and they aren't on 4.3.3 (or
> we unknowingly have a setting preventing them from getting added). I
> took a look through the various manpages and didn't see anything relevant.
>
> Thanks, Nate
> [hidden email]
> https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.isc.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fdhcp-users&amp;data=02%7C01%7Candrew.brennan%40drexel.edu%7C9eed272971b14d28164408d7d27da854%7C3664e6fa47bd45a696708c4f080f8ca6%7C0%7C1%7C637209309455287580&amp;sdata=3gXa4%2Bv5UEPNsi258bRY2z20UNcCFUB7JNA9fkALQTU%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Bob Harold
+1
I want to know when it last renewed its lease - recently, years ago, or never.

--
Bob Harold

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 2:46 PM Brennan,Andrew <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have wanted this for years - that lease entry would let me know whether or not the machine is still configured to acquire it’s address via DHCP or if the enduser has taken it upon themselves to manually configure the host.  If this ends up as a feature request, I’m +1 here.

andrew.

> On Mar 27, 2020, at 2:35 PM, Nate Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> External.
>
> Hello,
>
> Is there a setting that controls whether or not fixed-address leases
> in dhcpd.conf will get added to the dhcpd.leases file? We have a
> use-case where we would like them to be, and they aren't on 4.3.3 (or
> we unknowingly have a setting preventing them from getting added). I
> took a look through the various manpages and didn't see anything relevant.
>
> Thanks, Nate
> [hidden email]
> https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.isc.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fdhcp-users&amp;data=02%7C01%7Candrew.brennan%40drexel.edu%7C9eed272971b14d28164408d7d27da854%7C3664e6fa47bd45a696708c4f080f8ca6%7C0%7C1%7C637209309455287580&amp;sdata=3gXa4%2Bv5UEPNsi258bRY2z20UNcCFUB7JNA9fkALQTU%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

perl-list
Also would like to see this though I think it unlikely to make an appearance at this point.

> I want to know when it last renewed its lease - recently, years ago, or never.

> --
> Bob Harold

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 2:46 PM Brennan,Andrew < [
> mailto:[hidden email] | [hidden email] ] > wrote:

>> I have wanted this for years - that lease entry would let me know whether or not
>> the machine is still configured to acquire it’s address via DHCP or if the
>> enduser has taken it upon themselves to manually configure the host. If this
>> ends up as a feature request, I’m +1 here.

>> andrew.

>>> On Mar 27, 2020, at 2:35 PM, Nate Collins < [ mailto:[hidden email] |
>> > [hidden email] ] > wrote:

>> > External.

>> > Hello,

>> > Is there a setting that controls whether or not fixed-address leases
>> > in dhcpd.conf will get added to the dhcpd.leases file? We have a
>> > use-case where we would like them to be, and they aren't on 4.3.3 (or
>> > we unknowingly have a setting preventing them from getting added). I
>> > took a look through the various manpages and didn't see anything relevant.

>> > Thanks, Nate
>> > [ mailto:[hidden email] | [hidden email] ]
>>> [
>>> https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.isc.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fdhcp-users&amp;data=02%7C01%7Candrew.brennan%40drexel.edu%7C9eed272971b14d28164408d7d27da854%7C3664e6fa47bd45a696708c4f080f8ca6%7C0%7C1%7C637209309455287580&amp;sdata=3gXa4%2Bv5UEPNsi258bRY2z20UNcCFUB7JNA9fkALQTU%3D&amp;reserved=0
>>> |
>>> https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.isc.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fdhcp-users&amp;data=02%7C01%7Candrew.brennan%40drexel.edu%7C9eed272971b14d28164408d7d27da854%7C3664e6fa47bd45a696708c4f080f8ca6%7C0%7C1%7C637209309455287580&amp;sdata=3gXa4%2Bv5UEPNsi258bRY2z20UNcCFUB7JNA9fkALQTU%3D&amp;reserved=0
>> > ]

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Simon Hobson
Nate Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Is there a setting that controls whether or not fixed-address leases
>in dhcpd.conf will get added to the dhcpd.leases file?

No, they aren't and never have been.

What you can do is use a reserved lease. Once reserved, the lease will never get re-allocated to another client and acts very much like a host entry with fixed address. But, unlike the fixed-address statement, a reserved lease goes through the normal lifecycle so you can see it's state in the leases file.

Simon

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Bob Harold
I see now that "reserved lease" is documented in:

But until it is supported in dhcpd.conf and/or the various DDI vendors (Infoblox, BlueCat, etc), it will be difficult to use.
An option in a "host" statement to make it "reserved" would be great.

--
Bob Harold

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 5:42 PM Simon Hobson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nate Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Is there a setting that controls whether or not fixed-address leases
>in dhcpd.conf will get added to the dhcpd.leases file?

No, they aren't and never have been.

What you can do is use a reserved lease. Once reserved, the lease will never get re-allocated to another client and acts very much like a host entry with fixed address. But, unlike the fixed-address statement, a reserved lease goes through the normal lifecycle so you can see it's state in the leases file.

Simon

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Andrew Bell
Do you want to reserve an address inside the dynamic pool?  I'm not sure if that works, honestly, but I just set aside space in each subnet for reserved addresses and make the pool smaller.

Andrew

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 10:15 AM Bob Harold <[hidden email]> wrote:
I see now that "reserved lease" is documented in:

But until it is supported in dhcpd.conf and/or the various DDI vendors (Infoblox, BlueCat, etc), it will be difficult to use.
An option in a "host" statement to make it "reserved" would be great.

--
Bob Harold

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 5:42 PM Simon Hobson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nate Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Is there a setting that controls whether or not fixed-address leases
>in dhcpd.conf will get added to the dhcpd.leases file?

No, they aren't and never have been.

What you can do is use a reserved lease. Once reserved, the lease will never get re-allocated to another client and acts very much like a host entry with fixed address. But, unlike the fixed-address statement, a reserved lease goes through the normal lifecycle so you can see it's state in the leases file.

Simon

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Bob Harold
To get the effect I am looking for, I would have to make a pool of one host with a range of one host, for each host that needs a permanent address, and still have it logged in the leases file.  That gets pretty messy.

--
Bob Harold

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 10:52 AM Andrew Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do you want to reserve an address inside the dynamic pool?  I'm not sure if that works, honestly, but I just set aside space in each subnet for reserved addresses and make the pool smaller.

Andrew

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 10:15 AM Bob Harold <[hidden email]> wrote:
I see now that "reserved lease" is documented in:

But until it is supported in dhcpd.conf and/or the various DDI vendors (Infoblox, BlueCat, etc), it will be difficult to use.
An option in a "host" statement to make it "reserved" would be great.

--
Bob Harold

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 5:42 PM Simon Hobson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nate Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Is there a setting that controls whether or not fixed-address leases
>in dhcpd.conf will get added to the dhcpd.leases file?

No, they aren't and never have been.

What you can do is use a reserved lease. Once reserved, the lease will never get re-allocated to another client and acts very much like a host entry with fixed address. But, unlike the fixed-address statement, a reserved lease goes through the normal lifecycle so you can see it's state in the leases file.

Simon

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Simon Hobson
Andrew Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you want to reserve an address inside the dynamic pool?  I'm not sure if that works, honestly, but I just set aside space in each subnet for reserved addresses and make the pool smaller.

Reserved addresses are different to fixed-addresses.

As you point out, fixed-addresses should not be part of any pool.

A reserved address *IS* part of a pool. Other than having the reserved flag set, it is otherwise identical to any other dynamic lease. It goes through the same lifecycle as any other dynamic lease - leases expire if not renewed - the only difference being that the address will not be re-allocated to any other client. So in that respect it's ideal for what the OP wanted since the lease status can be read by any of the lease state reporting tools.
As already mentioned, it's a bit of an ugly duckling in terms of management. I know it can be set by manually editing the leases file, literally by adding a "reserved;" statement to a lease. I don't know if it can be set via OMAPI.

Simon

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Simon Hobson
Bob Harold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To get the effect I am looking for, I would have to make a pool of one host with a range of one host, for each host that needs a permanent address, and still have it logged in the leases file.  That gets pretty messy.

Do you specifically need it visible in the config file ?
If not, create a skeleton lease (with reserved flag set) in the leases file for each client. I think the only problem here is stopping the client getting another (non-reserved) address - something in common with using fixed-addresses and host statements.

In terms of visibility, there does seem to be room for a tool that will parse the leases file and report on reserved leases. That's outside my skill zone.

Simon

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Andrew Bell
Ah, now I see.  Yes, I was thinking of fixed addresses, not reserved leases.  I honestly didn't even know that was a thing until now.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:27 AM Simon Hobson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andrew Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you want to reserve an address inside the dynamic pool?  I'm not sure if that works, honestly, but I just set aside space in each subnet for reserved addresses and make the pool smaller.

Reserved addresses are different to fixed-addresses.

As you point out, fixed-addresses should not be part of any pool.

A reserved address *IS* part of a pool. Other than having the reserved flag set, it is otherwise identical to any other dynamic lease. It goes through the same lifecycle as any other dynamic lease - leases expire if not renewed - the only difference being that the address will not be re-allocated to any other client. So in that respect it's ideal for what the OP wanted since the lease status can be read by any of the lease state reporting tools.
As already mentioned, it's a bit of an ugly duckling in terms of management. I know it can be set by manually editing the leases file, literally by adding a "reserved;" statement to a lease. I don't know if it can be set via OMAPI.

Simon

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Simon Hobson
Andrew Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, now I see.  Yes, I was thinking of fixed addresses, not reserved leases.  I honestly didn't even know that was a thing until now.

It's a relatively new feature, and I don't believe it was well (or at all ?) documented until recently. I only know about it from it being discussed on this list.

Simon

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Nate Collins
FWIW, we're in the same boat - we don't want to enable reserved leases for
the entire dynamic pool for fear of running out of addresses, and would
only enable it for specific fixed-address leases (but since fixed-address
leases aren't part of the dynamic pool, the option is irrelevant).

[ https://kb.isc.org/docs/isc-dhcp-44-manual-pages-dhcpdconf | https://kb.isc.org/docs/isc-dhcp-44-manual-pages-dhcpdconf ]

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 5:42 PM Simon Hobson < [ mailto:[hidden email] | [hidden email] ] > wrote:

Nate Collins < [ mailto:[hidden email] | [hidden email] ] > wrote:

>Is there a setting that controls whether or not fixed-address leases
>in dhcpd.conf will get added to the dhcpd.leases file?

No, they aren't and never have been.

What you can do is use a reserved lease. Once reserved, the lease will never get re-allocated to another client and acts very much like a host entry with fixed address. But, unlike the fixed-address statement, a reserved lease goes through the normal lifecycle so you can see it's state in the leases file.

Simon

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Bob Harold
This sounds like a 'new' feature, I had not heard of it before, but when I check git blame at

the lines referring to 'reserved lease' are 9 and 13 years old.  Is it really that old?

--
Bob Harold

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:52 AM Nate Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW, we're in the same boat - we don't want to enable reserved leases for
the entire dynamic pool for fear of running out of addresses, and would
only enable it for specific fixed-address leases (but since fixed-address
leases aren't part of the dynamic pool, the option is irrelevant).

To get the effect I am looking for, I would have to make a pool of one host with a range of one host, for each host that needs a permanent address, and still have it logged in the leases file. That gets pretty messy.

--
Bob Harold

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 10:52 AM Andrew Bell < [ mailto:[hidden email] | [hidden email] ] > wrote:

Do you want to reserve an address inside the dynamic pool? I'm not sure if that works, honestly, but I just set aside space in each subnet for reserved addresses and make the pool smaller.

Andrew

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 10:15 AM Bob Harold < [ mailto:[hidden email] | [hidden email] ] > wrote:

I see now that "reserved lease" is documented in:
[ https://kb.isc.org/docs/isc-dhcp-44-manual-pages-dhcpdconf | https://kb.isc.org/docs/isc-dhcp-44-manual-pages-dhcpdconf ]

But until it is supported in dhcpd.conf and/or the various DDI vendors (Infoblox, BlueCat, etc), it will be difficult to use.
An option in a "host" statement to make it "reserved" would be great.

--
Bob Harold

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 5:42 PM Simon Hobson < [ mailto:[hidden email] | [hidden email] ] > wrote:

Nate Collins < [ mailto:[hidden email] | [hidden email] ] > wrote:

>Is there a setting that controls whether or not fixed-address leases
>in dhcpd.conf will get added to the dhcpd.leases file?

No, they aren't and never have been.

What you can do is use a reserved lease. Once reserved, the lease will never get re-allocated to another client and acts very much like a host entry with fixed address. But, unlike the fixed-address statement, a reserved lease goes through the normal lifecycle so you can see it's state in the leases file.

Simon

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Sten Carlsen
According to my memory there was a discussion about the precise way to
set it with OMAPI.

I did not have the time to dig that conversation out. As I recall (could
be incorrect) the trick was to change a state or such to a specific
numerical value.

On 30-03-2020 17.48, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Andrew Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ah, now I see.  Yes, I was thinking of fixed addresses, not reserved leases.  I honestly didn't even know that was a thing until now.
> It's a relatively new feature, and I don't believe it was well (or at all ?) documented until recently. I only know about it from it being discussed on this list.
>
> Simon

Best regards

Sten Carlsen

No improvements come from shouting:

"MALE BOVINE MANURE!!!"

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Andrew Bell
FWIW, YMMV, etc.

I wrote a database system many years ago (which is still in use) to handle this.

In a nutshell, it tracks a list of reserved addresses by subnet, and dumps out a config fragment containing the fixed address entries. Then it generates the subnet pools by iterating through the subnet ranges and skipping the fixed addresses.  So I get something like this:

host xxx { hardware ethernet xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx; fixed address 10.10.10.7; }
subnet 10.10.10.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  pool {
    range 10.10.10.1 10.10.10.6;
    range 10.10.10.8 10.10.10.254;
  }
}

Obviously that's only a small fragment.

Whenever a change is made to the database the system regenerates the config files and reloads the servers. Then it import/parse the dhcpd.leases file, and put the last lease date in as a "last seen" attribute in the database.

Andrew

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 3:21 PM Bob Harold <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1
I want to know when it last renewed its lease - recently, years ago, or never.

--
Bob Harold

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 2:46 PM Brennan,Andrew <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have wanted this for years - that lease entry would let me know whether or not the machine is still configured to acquire it’s address via DHCP or if the enduser has taken it upon themselves to manually configure the host.  If this ends up as a feature request, I’m +1 here.

andrew.

> On Mar 27, 2020, at 2:35 PM, Nate Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> External.
>
> Hello,
>
> Is there a setting that controls whether or not fixed-address leases
> in dhcpd.conf will get added to the dhcpd.leases file? We have a
> use-case where we would like them to be, and they aren't on 4.3.3 (or
> we unknowingly have a setting preventing them from getting added). I
> took a look through the various manpages and didn't see anything relevant.
>
> Thanks, Nate
> [hidden email]
> https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.isc.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fdhcp-users&amp;data=02%7C01%7Candrew.brennan%40drexel.edu%7C9eed272971b14d28164408d7d27da854%7C3664e6fa47bd45a696708c4f080f8ca6%7C0%7C1%7C637209309455287580&amp;sdata=3gXa4%2Bv5UEPNsi258bRY2z20UNcCFUB7JNA9fkALQTU%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Niall O'Reilly
On 30 Mar 2020, at 17:00, Bob Harold wrote:

> This sounds like a 'new' feature, I had not heard of it before, but
> when I check git blame at
> <https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/dhcp/-/blame/master/server/dhcpd.conf.5>
>
> the lines referring to 'reserved lease' are 9 and 13 years old.  Is
> it really that old?

That seems credible.

A method I've used for keeping track of whether a fixed address is still
active
is to pull the DORA entries from the log and use them to update a
last-seen database.
It's tedious, but effective.

Niall O'Reilly

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Simon Hobson
Nate Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FWIW, we're in the same boat - we don't want to enable reserved leases for
> the entire dynamic pool for fear of running out of addresses, and would
> only enable it for specific fixed-address leases

I'm not sure you've followed this. You don't set the flag per pool, it's per individual address - you'd only set it for devices you want to have a fixed address.

So instead of setting a host entry with fixed-address, you create a lease and set the reserved flag on it - either way it's one address "reserved" to that client. You'd only run out of addresses if you keep reserving addresses for new clients and not reclaiming ones no longer in use - exactly the same way you'd run out of addresses if you keep creating new host declarations (and reducing the dynamic pool to accommodate them).

Simon

FW: Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Renters Inquiries

Dear Valued Customer,

We have received your email in regarding your insurance policy. We are unable to locate a policy.  In order to process your request please provide:

  • Policy number
  • Primary insured’s name
  • Property address
  • Telephone number

If you have a Renter’s policy, you can manage your policy online 24/7 at: https://www.myassurantpolicy.com/

You have access to a range of service options including:

  • View/update policy information
  • Manage your payments
  • Obtain proof of insurance
  • And much more

If you have a Condominium or Mobile Home policy, you can review your billing online 24/7 at: WWW.MyAssurantPayment.com

You have access to:

  • View/update billing information
  • Manage your payments

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you.

Sincerely,

Insurance Services

Assurant - Global Specialty Operations

I want to know when it last renewed its lease - recently, years ago, or never.

--
Bob Harold

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 2:46 PM Brennan,Andrew <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have wanted this for years - that lease entry would let me know whether or not the machine is still configured to acquire it’s address via DHCP or if the enduser has taken it upon themselves to manually configure the host.  If this ends up as a feature request, I’m +1 here.

andrew.

> On Mar 27, 2020, at 2:35 PM, Nate Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> External.
>
> Hello,
>
> Is there a setting that controls whether or not fixed-address leases
> in dhcpd.conf will get added to the dhcpd.leases file? We have a
> use-case where we would like them to be, and they aren't on 4.3.3 (or
> we unknowingly have a setting preventing them from getting added). I
> took a look through the various manpages and didn't see anything relevant.
>
> Thanks, Nate
> [hidden email]
> https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.isc.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fdhcp-users&amp;data=02%7C01%7Candrew.brennan%40drexel.edu%7C9eed272971b14d28164408d7d27da854%7C3664e6fa47bd45a696708c4f080f8ca6%7C0%7C1%7C637209309455287580&amp;sdata=3gXa4%2Bv5UEPNsi258bRY2z20UNcCFUB7JNA9fkALQTU%3D&amp;reserved=0

This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, forwarding or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message and all copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

ATT00001.txt (210 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Vicky Risk
Administrator
Sorry about this. I have unsubscribed this sender.

On Apr 2, 2020, at 3:36 PM, Renters Inquiries <[hidden email]> wrote:

blahblah blah

Vicky Risk