Sometimes server / client doesn't honor leasing time

Sometimes server / client doesn't honor leasing time

Roberto De Oliveira
Hello everyone!,

I am writing you because I have a DHCP cluster and sometimes I have a weird behavior between server / clients, they don't agree on the lease time, I have this configuration on both servers:
default-lease-time 129600;
max-lease-time 129600;
min-lease-time 129600;

And sometimes I have this on dhcpd.leases:
lease X.X.X.X {
  starts 2 2016/12/27 13:16:56;
  ends 2 2016/12/27 14:16:56;
  tstp 4 2016/12/29 01:46:56;
  tsfp 2 2016/12/27 10:29:38;
  cltt 2 2016/12/27 13:16:56;
  binding state active;
  next binding state expired;
  hardware ethernet f4:09:d8:7a:fd:a5;
  uid "\001\364\011\330z\375\245";
  client-hostname "android-2003cbf0e82ff81d";
}

The lease ends an hour later despite of tsfp is equal to *-lease-time. What is happening in this cases?.

Thanks in advanced.

--
Saludos,
Roberto De Oliveira

Re: Sometimes server / client doesn't honor leasing time

perl-list
The client can, and sometimes does, request a different lease time than what the server specifies.  The server honors this request.  This is normal behavior.  For example, some versions of windows will initially request only an hour lease, then at renew time will take the full length lease.

Re: Sometimes server / client doesn't honor leasing time

Bob Harold

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Roberto De Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

In DHCP failover setup, the first lease time is the "MCLT", and the normal lease time is given on a renew.  Your MCLT is probably one hour.  Check your dhcpd.conf file.

--
Bob Harold

[...]

In failover, a new lease is given the "maximum client lead time", and then when it renews it is given the normal lease time.

--
Bob Harold

I cannot give you the acronym, because the "Bell Aliant Content Filtering Device" filtered my email message saying that was inappropriate language!

El jue., 23 feb. 2017 a las 13:06, Bob Harold (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

In failover, a new lease is given the "maximum client lead time", and then when it renews it is given the normal lease time.

--
Bob Harold

Thanks, this help me a lot.
--