setting preferred and valid lifetimes, T1 and T2, using dhclient.conf

setting preferred and valid lifetimes, T1 and T2, using dhclient.conf

Mudric, Dusan (Dusan)
Hi DHCPv6 experts,

I need help finding out how to set dhcpd6 client's IA_NA address preferred and valid lifetimes, and IA_NA T1 and T2, using dhclient.conf configuration file.

rfc3315#section-22.4
" If the time at which the addresses in an IA_NA are to be renewed is to be left to the discretion of the client, the server sets T1 and T2 to 0."

The Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client uses hard coded default values:
- T1=3600,
- T2=5400,
- Preferred lifetime=7200, and
- Valid lifetime=7500.

Which http://linux.die.net/man/5/dhclient.conf options can be used to change these values when the server sets T1=T2=0?

Thanks,
Dusan Mudric.

Re: setting preferred and valid lifetimes, T1 and T2, using dhclient.conf

glenn.satchell
Hi Dusan

That web page might be quite an old version of dhclient.conf. I'd suggest
looking at the one installed on your client using 'man dhclient.conf' to
make sure it includes the latest settings that match your client.

The command you're probably looking for is 'send'. I'm not sure of the
exact option required, but it will be in the dhcp-options man page and
search for dhcp6.

In dhclient.conf add something like

send option dhcp6.<whatever> <value>

       send { [ option declaration ]
       [, ... option declaration ]}

       The send statement causes the client to send the specified options to
       the server with the specified values.  These are full option
       declarations as described in dhcp-options(5).  Options that are
       always sent in the DHCP protocol should not be specified here, except
       that the client can specify a requested dhcp-lease-time option other
       than the default requested lease time, which is two hours.  The other
       obvious use for this statement is to send information to the server
       that will allow it to differentiate between this client and other
       clients or kinds of clients.

regards,
-glenn

On Thu, June 18, 2015 6:15 am, Mudric, Dusan (Dusan) wrote:

> Hi DHCPv6 experts,
>
> I need help finding out how to set dhcpd6 client's IA_NA address preferred
> and valid lifetimes, and IA_NA T1 and T2, using dhclient.conf
> configuration file.
>
> rfc3315#section-22.4
> " If the time at which the addresses in an IA_NA are to be renewed is to
> be left to the discretion of the client, the server sets T1 and T2 to 0."
>
> The Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client uses hard coded default
> values:
> - T1=3600,
> - T2=5400,
> - Preferred lifetime=7200, and
> - Valid lifetime=7500.
>
> Which http://linux.die.net/man/5/dhclient.conf options can be used to
> change these values when the server sets T1=T2=0?
>
> Thanks,
> Dusan Mudric.

RE: setting preferred and valid lifetimes, T1 and T2, using dhclient.conf

Mudric, Dusan (Dusan)
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did check 'man dhcp-options'. There are various 'dhcp6' options but none for T1, T2, preferred and valid lifetimes. It might be that these options are not implemented, even though the RFC 3315 standard recommends them. Please let me know if these options are supported by ISC DHCPv6 client.

Regards,
Dusan.

>Message: 1
>Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 11:07:06 +1000
>From: "Glenn Satchell" <[hidden email]>
>To: "Users of ISC DHCP" <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: setting preferred and valid lifetimes, T1 and T2, using
> dhclient.conf
>
>Hi Dusan
>
>That web page might be quite an old version of dhclient.conf. I'd suggest looking at the one installed on your client using 'man >dhclient.conf' to make sure it includes the latest settings that match your client.
>
>The command you're probably looking for is 'send'. I'm not sure of the exact option required, but it will be in the dhcp-options >man page and search for dhcp6.
>
>In dhclient.conf add something like
>
>send option dhcp6.<whatever> <value>
>
>       send { [ option declaration ]
>       [, ... option declaration ]}
>
>       The send statement causes the client to send the specified options to
>       the server with the specified values.  These are full option
>       declarations as described in dhcp-options(5).  Options that are
>       always sent in the DHCP protocol should not be specified here, except
>       that the client can specify a requested dhcp-lease-time option other
>       than the default requested lease time, which is two hours.  The other
>       obvious use for this statement is to send information to the server
>       that will allow it to differentiate between this client and other
>       clients or kinds of clients.
>
>regards,
>-glenn
>
>On Thu, June 18, 2015 6:15 am, Mudric, Dusan (Dusan) wrote:
>> Hi DHCPv6 experts,
>>
>> I need help finding out how to set dhcpd6 client's IA_NA address
>> preferred and valid lifetimes, and IA_NA T1 and T2, using
>> dhclient.conf configuration file.
>>
>> rfc3315#section-22.4
>> " If the time at which the addresses in an IA_NA are to be renewed is
>> to be left to the discretion of the client, the server sets T1 and T2 to 0."
>>
>> The Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client uses hard coded default
>> values:
>> - T1=3600,
>> - T2=5400,
>> - Preferred lifetime=7200, and
>> - Valid lifetime=7500.
>>
>> Which
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http->3A__linux.die.net_man_5_dhclient.conf&d=AwICAg&c=BFpWQw8bsuKpl1SgiZH64Q&r=UT3Bk9cbLeaJxhf3iCrhIoUWB8YLZU230>29sMQGQ2kY&m=UEXVi4En8p9fVMby_sdHiz5ZsD7OtoofqcErH0cmKXc&s=B1TIH3g2X->wTtusG7F5zZpcMUgPpD7280ZoP5mOd1vg&e=  options can be used to change these values when the server sets T1=T2=0?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dusan Mudric.

Re: setting preferred and valid lifetimes, T1 and T2, using dhclient.conf

David Ganor
Hi,
As an example, follows is how we set it in our DHCPv6 client config:

send dhcp6.ia-na WW:WW:WW:WW:T1:T1:T1:T1:T2:T2:T2:T2;

Where "WW:WW:WW:WW" is the 4 hexa bytes of the IAID (in network byte order),
"T1:T1:T1:T1" is the 4 hexa bytes of T1 (in network byte order) and
"T2:T2:T2:T2" is the 4 hexa bytes of T2 (in network byte order)

HTH,

Best regards,
David Ganor

Cell: +972-54-3090299
Tel: +972-74-7028642
Fax: +972-153-74-7028642

SW developer
www.oliver-solutions.com

On 18/06/2015 04:07, Glenn Satchell wrote:

> Hi Dusan
>
> That web page might be quite an old version of dhclient.conf. I'd suggest
> looking at the one installed on your client using 'man dhclient.conf' to
> make sure it includes the latest settings that match your client.
>
> The command you're probably looking for is 'send'. I'm not sure of the
> exact option required, but it will be in the dhcp-options man page and
> search for dhcp6.
>
> In dhclient.conf add something like
>
> send option dhcp6.<whatever> <value>
>
>         send { [ option declaration ]
>         [, ... option declaration ]}
>
>         The send statement causes the client to send the specified options to
>         the server with the specified values.  These are full option
>         declarations as described in dhcp-options(5).  Options that are
>         always sent in the DHCP protocol should not be specified here, except
>         that the client can specify a requested dhcp-lease-time option other
>         than the default requested lease time, which is two hours.  The other
>         obvious use for this statement is to send information to the server
>         that will allow it to differentiate between this client and other
>         clients or kinds of clients.
>
> regards,
> -glenn
>
> On Thu, June 18, 2015 6:15 am, Mudric, Dusan (Dusan) wrote:
>> Hi DHCPv6 experts,
>>
>> I need help finding out how to set dhcpd6 client's IA_NA address preferred
>> and valid lifetimes, and IA_NA T1 and T2, using dhclient.conf
>> configuration file.
>>
>> rfc3315#section-22.4
>> " If the time at which the addresses in an IA_NA are to be renewed is to
>> be left to the discretion of the client, the server sets T1 and T2 to 0."
>>
>> The Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client uses hard coded default
>> values:
>> - T1=3600,
>> - T2=5400,
>> - Preferred lifetime=7200, and
>> - Valid lifetime=7500.
>>
>> Which http://linux.die.net/man/5/dhclient.conf options can be used to
>> change these values when the server sets T1=T2=0?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dusan Mudric.

RE: setting preferred and valid lifetimes, T1 and T2, using dhclient.conf

Mudric, Dusan (Dusan)
Hi David,

As suggested, I tested with:

       # Example: IAID=4f4fb85a, T1=5555, T2=6666
        send dhcp6.ia-na 4F:4F:B8:5A: 00:00:15:B3:00:00:1A:0A;

There is a bug in ISC 4.0 DHCPv6 client. It sent two IA_NA options in SOLICIT:

   Identity Association for Non-temporary Address
   Option: Identity Association for Non-temporary Address (3)
   Length: 12
   Value: 4f4fb85a000015b300001a0a
   IAID: 4f4fb85a
   T1: 5555
   T2: 6666

   Identity Association for Non-temporary Address
   Option: Identity Association for Non-temporary Address (3)
   Length: 12
   Value: 4f4fb85a00000e1000001518
   IAID: 4f4fb85a
   T1: 3600
   T2: 5400

and even three IA_NA options in REQUEST. Do you know if this problem was fixed in DHCPv6 4.3.2?

Second question: Is there a way for the client to control Preferred and Valid lifetimes using dhclient.conf attributes? If yes, how?

Thanks,
Dusan.

> [...]

>>> to be left to the discretion of the client, the server sets T1 and T2 to 0."
>>>
>>> The Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client uses hard coded default
>>> values:
>>> - T2=5400,
>>> - Preferred lifetime=7200, and
>>> - Valid lifetime=7500.
>>>
>>> Which
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http->3A__linux.die.net_man_5_dhclient.conf&d=AwICAg&c=BFpWQw8bsuKpl1SgiZH64Q&r=UT3Bk9cbLeaJxhf3iCrhIoUWB8YLZU23029sMQG2>kY&m=crMLHloqV850U_QjmZ6NC9Fduw1bBEF_Qden1OZHIRM&s=pENlDW3X0NUWblfnlKN95r5Z-xK9arCM863dXz016aM&e=  options >can be used to change these values when the server sets T1=T2=0?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dusan Mudric.

Re: setting preferred and valid lifetimes, T1 and T2, using dhclient.conf

Hi Dusan,
We are using our own modified dhcp client (based on 4.3.0) so we do not
see the duplicate IA_NA in the SOLICIT message.
AFAIK, we had a similar issue that was solved by some source-code
modifications we did some while ago.

I'm not aware of a way to control the preferred and valid lifetimes from
the client's conf file.
I do recall reading something in some DHCPv6-related RFC, that the
client should only send on the T1 and T2,
and the server will select values for both preferred and valid lifetime
parameters and notify the client about those values,
but I not sure I got it right from the RFC...

BR,
David

BR,
David Ganor