problem with both-faiover-server updating the DNS

problem with both-faiover-server updating the DNS

gnafou
Hello

I currently have  isc dhcp servers working with failover and dns update ( interim style )

When upgrading my debian machine from wheezy to jessie, it upgraded as well dhcpd from 4.2.2 to 4.3.1.

Since i have upgraded, i find some weird behaviour with the DNS-Update :

for some of the machines, both  dhcp servers answer, then they both update  the DNS.

I do not have any log lines stating ' lease owned by peer'

And after the lease is over,  one of the dhcp server  deletes the dns map though the machine is currently being served by the other server.

thank you if you can give me a hint

Fred

Re: problem with both-faiover-server updating the DNS

John Miller
Both dhcp servers answering is standard procedure.  Are both offering
the same IP address, however?  That's not standard procedure.

Are you doing dns updates for hosts with fixed-address directives, by
any chance? (update-static-leases on)

John

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 12:23 PM, gnafou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I currently have  isc dhcp servers working with failover and dns update (
> interim style )
>
> When upgrading my debian machine from wheezy to jessie, it upgraded as well
> dhcpd from 4.2.2 to 4.3.1.
>
> Since i have upgraded, i find some weird behaviour with the DNS-Update :
>
> for some of the machines, both  dhcp servers answer, then they both update
> the DNS.
>
> I do not have any log lines stating ' lease owned by peer'
>
> And after the lease is over,  one of the dhcp server  deletes the dns map
> though the machine is currently being served by the other server.

Re: problem with both-faiover-server updating the DNS

gnafou
both servers answer to the DHCPREQUEST offering the same IP address.

I have a few fixed-address records, but their DNS is done manually. i do not have the update-static-leases option specified

The problem is encountered on 'some' addresses ... still trying to figure out which ones

During the weekend i upgraded to the 4.3.2 but  i think i still observe weird behaviour

Thanks

Fred