option "fixed-address" limitations

a-plant

I have a problem: I have to list about 200 hosts with a fixed IP address.
Are there any limitations on the number of hosts that can be listed with the "fixed-address" clause?
Thanks in advance

Re: option "fixed-address" limitations

Niall O'Reilly
On 22 Feb 2019, at 8:57, a-plant wrote:

> I have a problem: I have to list about 200 hosts with a fixed IP
> address.
> Are there any limitations on the number of hosts that can be listed
> with the "fixed-address" clause?

Practically, no.

Strictly, everything is limited by available system resources.

I have a fuzzy memory of a stage in migrating from BOOTP to DHCP
before introducing the use of pools, when there were thousands
of fixed-address host declarations in the configuration.

Best regards,

Niall O'Reilly

Re: option "fixed-address" limitations

perl-list
We have a system that has 25 thousand+ fixed addresses.  There are no issues with it.  200 should be absolutely no problem on a low end modern server (somewhat recent (~2008) xeon  or equivalent + 4GB RAM) as we are serving the 25 thousand+ off of this type of server.