how to upgrade the failover pair?

Aleksey Perov
Hi.

I have two servers running Debian 6.0.5 with ISC DHCP 4.1.1 in a
failover pair. Now I need to upgrade them to the latest Debian 9 which
is shipped with ISC DHCP 4.3.5. Since Debian 6 is too old, the only way
of upgrading is a clean reinstall (which in most cases is better than
sequential upgrade 6 to 7 to 8 to 9).

I have read
https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-01043/183/Recommendations-for-restarting-a-DHCP-failover-pair.html
and some other articles, but those documents say nothing about the
upgrade scenario.

So the question is: What is the recommended process of _upgrading_ the
failover pair?

The draft plan is as follows:

- stop the secondary;
- turn the primary into partner-down;
- reinstall the secondary;
- wait until the primary reclaims all addresses in all pools;
- stop the primary;
- copy leases file from primary to secondary;
- start the secondary in partner-down mode;
- reinstall the primary;
- turn the secondary into normal mode;
- start the primary.

Is anything wrong here?

Any advices and recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

--
Aleksey

Re: how to upgrade the failover pair?

perl-list
This is a layman's opinion as i've not done the described procedure below, but I would think you would want to retain the dhcpd.leases file from the secondary and primary and put those back after re-install.

In other words, do not attempt to copy leases file from primary to secondary as you listed in steps below, but rather retain the dhcpd.leases file from the original install.  Copy that file back into place before you start the DHCP server on the secondary.

I think there are some differences between the primary and secondary leases files such that you would not want one copied to the other.

Re: how to upgrade the failover pair?

Simon Hobson
Aleksey Perov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The draft plan is as follows:
>
> - stop the secondary;
> - turn the primary into partner-down;
> - reinstall the secondary;
> - wait until the primary reclaims all addresses in all pools;
> - stop the primary;
> - copy leases file from primary to secondary;
> - start the secondary in partner-down mode;
> - reinstall the primary;
> - turn the secondary into normal mode;
> - start the primary.
>
> Is anything wrong here?

Isn't the simplest - provided they are using the same level of failover protocol - to simply start up a clean upgraded secondary and allow it to transfer leases from the primary ? So :

Stop one partner, put the remaining one into partner down state.
Create new upgraded clean partner.
Start up new partner and allow the pair to synchronise.

Repeat for the other partner.

Re: how to upgrade the failover pair?

Aleksey Perov
You mean 4.1.1 and 4.3.5 use the same failover protocol and can talk to
each other without any issue?

31.05.2018 12:41, Simon Hobson пишет:

> Aleksey Perov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The draft plan is as follows:
>>
>> - stop the secondary;
>> - turn the primary into partner-down;
>> - reinstall the secondary;
>> - wait until the primary reclaims all addresses in all pools;
>> - stop the primary;
>> - copy leases file from primary to secondary;
>> - start the secondary in partner-down mode;
>> - reinstall the primary;
>> - turn the secondary into normal mode;
>> - start the primary.
>>
>> Is anything wrong here?
>
> Isn't the simplest - provided they are using the same level of failover protocol - to simply start up a clean upgraded secondary and allow it to transfer leases from the primary ? So :
>
> Stop one partner, put the remaining one into partner down state.
> Create new upgraded clean partner.
> Start up new partner and allow the pair to synchronise.
>
> Repeat for the other partner.

Aleksey

Re: how to upgrade the failover pair?

Bill Shirley-2
I am running a fail-over pair:
primary = dhcp-server-4.3.6-9.fc27.x86_64
secondary = dhcp-4.2.5-23.fc19.x86_64

So yes, I think 4.1.1 and 4.3.5 would speak the same language.

Bill

On 5/31/2018 6:40 AM, Алексей Перов wrote:

> You mean 4.1.1 and 4.3.5 use the same failover protocol and can talk to each other without any issue?
>

> 31.05.2018 12:41, Simon Hobson пишет:
>> Aleksey Perov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The draft plan is as follows:
>>>
>>> - stop the secondary;
>>> - turn the primary into partner-down;
>>> - reinstall the secondary;
>>> - wait until the primary reclaims all addresses in all pools;
>>> - stop the primary;
>>> - copy leases file from primary to secondary;
>>> - start the secondary in partner-down mode;
>>> - reinstall the primary;
>>> - turn the secondary into normal mode;
>>> - start the primary.
>>>
>>> Is anything wrong here?
>>
>> Isn't the simplest - provided they are using the same level of failover protocol - to simply start up a clean upgraded
>> secondary and allow it to transfer leases from the primary ? So :
>>
>> Stop one partner, put the remaining one into partner down state.
>> Create new upgraded clean partner.
>> Start up new partner and allow the pair to synchronise.
>>
>> Repeat for the other partner.

Re: how to upgrade the failover pair?

Bob Harold

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 11:26 AM Bill Shirley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am running a fail-over pair:
primary = dhcp-server-4.3.6-9.fc27.x86_64
secondary = dhcp-4.2.5-23.fc19.x86_64

So yes, I think 4.1.1 and 4.3.5 would speak the same language.

Bill

On 5/31/2018 6:40 AM, Алексей Перов wrote:
> You mean 4.1.1 and 4.3.5 use the same failover protocol and can talk to each other without any issue?

You could try it, and if it fails to sync it should give some error in the logs.

--
Bob Harold