guest network using tagged VLANs

srs

guest network using tagged VLANs

srs

I'm wondering if this is possible ... I can't seem to find anything that
really matches.

Suppose I have a wireless access point (WAP) configured just as an AP --
no router or DHCP functionality enabled on the WiFi device.

WAP is connected to a switch with two tagged VLANs.

Switch is connected to machine running ISC DHCP.   Connection is from a
switch port assigned to both VLANS.

In the ISC DHCP configuration for the VLAN subnet, some rules (for
example MAC address) are used to assign an address from one of the two
VLAN subnets.  For example, known MAC addresses get IPs from VLAN1.
Unknown MAC addresses get IP addresses from VLAN2.

Since different interfaces are specified as subnets in the DHCP
configuration, I don't see that I can specify one set of rules for the
combined (trunk) VLAN.  So what I'd end up with is two subnet
specifications where a client address may come from either the same
subnet or from the other VLAN subnet.  Having an address range from a
different subnet alone seems like it might not work (configuration might
be rejected).   Beyond that, would it then even work ...

I don't really have everything needed to actually test this, which is
why I ask.

--
Steve Sapovits

Re: guest network using tagged VLANs

Rudy Zijlstra

On 12/01/2020 22.44, Steve Sapovits wrote:

> I'm wondering if this is possible ... I can't seem to find anything
> that really matches.
>
> Suppose I have a wireless access point (WAP) configured just as an AP
> -- no router or DHCP functionality enabled on the WiFi device.
>
> WAP is connected to a switch with two tagged VLANs.
>
> Switch is connected to machine running ISC DHCP.   Connection is from
> a switch port assigned to both VLANS.
>
> In the ISC DHCP configuration for the VLAN subnet, some rules (for
> example MAC address) are used to assign an address from one of the two
> VLAN subnets.  For example, known MAC addresses get IPs from VLAN1.
> Unknown MAC addresses get IP addresses from VLAN2.
>
> Since different interfaces are specified as subnets in the DHCP
> configuration, I don't see that I can specify one set of rules for the
> combined (trunk) VLAN.  So what I'd end up with is two subnet
> specifications where a client address may come from either the same
> subnet or from the other VLAN subnet.  Having an address range from a
> different subnet alone seems like it might not work (configuration
> might be rejected).   Beyond that, would it then even work ...
>
> I don't really have everything needed to actually test this, which is
> why I ask.

You can solve this on condition that the WAP itself is VLAN aware and
than use 2 SSID. One assigned the your normal VLAN and the second to the
guest VLAN.

On the DHCP server you than have no problem, as each of the VLAN can
have it's own subnet definition.

Cheers

Rudy

srs

On 1/12/2020 4:54 PM, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:

> On 12/01/2020 22.44, Steve Sapovits wrote:
>> I'm wondering if this is possible ... I can't seem to find anything
>> that really matches.
>>
>> Suppose I have a wireless access point (WAP) configured just as an AP
>> -- no router or DHCP functionality enabled on the WiFi device.
>>
>> WAP is connected to a switch with two tagged VLANs.
>>
>> Switch is connected to machine running ISC DHCP.   Connection is from
>> a switch port assigned to both VLANS.
>>
>> In the ISC DHCP configuration for the VLAN subnet, some rules (for
>> example MAC address) are used to assign an address from one of the two
>> VLAN subnets.  For example, known MAC addresses get IPs from VLAN1.
>> Unknown MAC addresses get IP addresses from VLAN2.
>>
>> Since different interfaces are specified as subnets in the DHCP
>> configuration, I don't see that I can specify one set of rules for the
>> combined (trunk) VLAN.  So what I'd end up with is two subnet
>> specifications where a client address may come from either the same
>> subnet or from the other VLAN subnet.  Having an address range from a
>> different subnet alone seems like it might not work (configuration
>> might be rejected).   Beyond that, would it then even work ...
>>
>> I don't really have everything needed to actually test this, which is
>> why I ask.
> You can solve this on condition that the WAP itself is VLAN aware and
> than use 2 SSID. One assigned the your normal VLAN and the second to the
> guest VLAN.
>
> On the DHCP server you than have no problem, as each of the VLAN can
> have it's own subnet definition.

Reading some networking forums, it sounds like not all WAP devices
retain guest separation if they're not in full router mode.

So, assuming a WAP that can't do the VLAN separation, is there a way to
make the guest separation on the ISC DHCP side?

On 12/01/2020 23.15, Steve Sapovits wrote:

>> On the DHCP server you than have no problem, as each of the VLAN can
>> have it's own subnet definition.
>

> Reading some networking forums, it sounds like not all WAP devices
> retain guest separation if they're not in full router mode.
>
> So, assuming a WAP that can't do the VLAN separation, is there a way
> to make the guest separation on the ISC DHCP side?

When the WAP does not support VLAN separation, i think it already fails
at the switch. How would the switch be able to differentiate? The switch
will always tag an untagged packet to the same VLAN.
srs

On 1/12/2020 5:20 PM, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:

> On 12/01/2020 23.15, Steve Sapovits wrote:
>>> On the DHCP server you than have no problem, as each of the VLAN can
>>> have it's own subnet definition.
>>
>> Reading some networking forums, it sounds like not all WAP devices
>> retain guest separation if they're not in full router mode.
>>
>> So, assuming a WAP that can't do the VLAN separation, is there a way
>> to make the guest separation on the ISC DHCP side?
>>

> When the WAP does not support VLAN separation, i think it already fails
> at the switch. How would the switch be able to differentiate? The switch
> will always tag an untagged packet to the same VLAN.

You would use a switch that allows a single port to be assigned to both
VLANs, then run that cable to a NIC on the DHCP server. Then configure
the DHCP server to listen on both VLAN subnets. From my understanding of
DHCP, that should be enough for the client to discover the DHCP server
to start the transaction.  So it would seem to come down to whether ISC
DHCP can return an address that's outside of the subnet it's listening
on.  My understanding is that a trunk port (one assigned to all VLANs)
assigns the right VLAN ID to any untagged packets.   So the right VLAN
ID should be added once the client gets its IP address and that flows
back to the trunk port on the VLAN switch.

Caveat here is I'm really not an expert ...

--
Steve Sapovits

srs

On 1/12/2020 5:56 PM, Steve Sapovits wrote:

> You would use a switch that allows a single port to be assigned to
> both VLANs, then run that cable to a NIC on the DHCP server. Then
> configure the DHCP server to listen on both VLAN subnets. From my
> understanding of DHCP, that should be enough for the client to
> discover the DHCP server to start the transaction.  So it would seem
> to come down to whether ISC DHCP can return an address that's outside
> of the subnet it's listening on.  My understanding is that a trunk
> port (one assigned to all VLANs) assigns the right VLAN ID to any
> untagged packets.   So the right VLAN ID should be added once the
> client gets its IP address and that flows back to the trunk port on
> the VLAN switch.
>
> Caveat here is I'm really not an expert ...

Reading more about this, I think I'm wrong.  If a packet hits a trunk
port (Cisco anyway) with no tag, it gets a default tag.

I don't think a trunk port is intended for what I was thinking.

I don't think you can connect anything not sending tagged VLAN packets
to a trunk port.  So I think that brings us back to your original point
-- make sure the WAP can do the tagging.

Otherwise, it would seem to require two WAPs.

On 13-01-2020 00:44, Steve Sapovits wrote:

> Reading more about this, I think I'm wrong.  If a packet hits a trunk
> port (Cisco anyway) with no tag, it gets a default tag.
>
> I don't think a trunk port is intended for what I was thinking.
>
> I don't think you can connect anything not sending tagged VLAN packets
> to a trunk port.  So I think that brings us back to your original
> point -- make sure the WAP can do the tagging.
>
> Otherwise, it would seem to require two WAPs.

You might want to investigate Ubiquity Unifi

Cheers

Re: guest network using tagged VLANs

Simon Hobson
To expand on Rudy's reply ...
As said, configure the AP to connect one SSID to one VLAN, and another SSID to another VLAN - this is then functionally equivalent to having two APs on separate physical LANs.
At the DHCP server, have the daemon listen on the two VLAN interfaces and define subnets to match. Again, this is functionally the same as having two interfaces connected to two seoarate LANs.
The rest just happens automagically - no special rules in your DHCP config.
This is something I've done a few times both internally and for clients.

Simon

Re: guest network using tagged VLANs

Simon Hobson-2
+1 for Unifi, hard to beat for the money.
I've installed loads for clients and they "just work" once configured. If you use the management software you get neat tricks like monitoring users and bandwidth consumed - but you can also configure a single AP with the phone app.
I use them at home instead of the flaky router WiFi.

Simon

Re: guest network using tagged VLANs

glenn.satchell
Hi Steve,

There is an even simpler solution.

Configure a single VLAN on the switch, send untagged packets to the port
the WAP is plugged into.

Run the two IP address ranges on the single VLAN. On the dhcp server
configure these as a shared network.

Use your rules about known devices, etc, to decide which pool of
addresses to assign to a given client.

This VLAN does not need to go all the way to the dhcp server, just make
sure routing is in place with a dhcp forwarder on the router - same as
you would do for any non-local subnet.

regards,
-glenn