dhcpv6 on ppp interface not working: Unsupported device type

dhcpv6 on ppp interface not working: Unsupported device type

wax g.
Hi,

I'm trying to use isc-dhcp-client to get a global ipv6 address & prefix delegation (IA_NA & PD) for a ppp interface but get this message instead:

* Unsupported device type 512 for "ppp0"

cli# dhclient -6 -P -v -N ppp0

Versions:
* Tested unsuccessfully  4.4.1 on debian buster.
* Tested unsuccessfully  4.4.2 on debian buster.

I've seen similar error messages dating from 2009 / 2010 and i thought this would be solved by now.

Has anyone been able to make this work using isc-dhcp-client ?

Thanks in advance,

Re: dhcpv6 on ppp interface not working: Unsupported device type

Bjørn Mork
"wax g." <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'm trying to use isc-dhcp-client to get a global ipv6 address & prefix
> delegation (IA_NA & PD) for a ppp interface but get this message instead:
>
> * Unsupported device type 512 for "ppp0"
>
> cli# dhclient -6 -P -v -N ppp0
>
> Versions:
> * Tested unsuccessfully  4.4.1 on debian buster.
> * Tested unsuccessfully  4.4.2 on debian buster.
>
> I've seen similar error messages dating from 2009 / 2010 and i thought this
> would be solved by now.
>
> Has anyone been able to make this work using isc-dhcp-client ?

There's an old patch here:
https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2010-April/011624.html

Don't know if it still applies, but it shouldn't be too hard to rebase.

The WIDE DHCPv6 client is a pretty good alternative IMHO. At least as
packaged by Debian, with a few fixes and new features since the last
upstream release in 2008:
https://packages.debian.org/buster/wide-dhcpv6-client

Bjørn

Re: dhcpv6 on ppp interface not working: Unsupported device type

wax g.
Thanks for the lead Bjørn. I'll try with the patch.

I did try wide dhcpv6 but it could not go beyond sending solicit messages despite receiving replies (as per tcpdump), which it seemed to ignore.

regards,

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 9:02 PM Bjørn Mork <[hidden email]> wrote:
"wax g." <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'm trying to use isc-dhcp-client to get a global ipv6 address & prefix
> delegation (IA_NA & PD) for a ppp interface but get this message instead:
>
> * Unsupported device type 512 for "ppp0"
>
> cli# dhclient -6 -P -v -N ppp0
>
> Versions:
> * Tested unsuccessfully  4.4.1 on debian buster.
> * Tested unsuccessfully  4.4.2 on debian buster.
>
> I've seen similar error messages dating from 2009 / 2010 and i thought this
> would be solved by now.
>
> Has anyone been able to make this work using isc-dhcp-client ?

There's an old patch here:
https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2010-April/011624.html

Don't know if it still applies, but it shouldn't be too hard to rebase.

The WIDE DHCPv6 client is a pretty good alternative IMHO. At least as
packaged by Debian, with a few fixes and new features since the last
upstream release in 2008:
https://packages.debian.org/buster/wide-dhcpv6-client

Bjørn

Re: dhcpv6 on ppp interface not working: Unsupported device type

wax g.
Must be the firewall impacting wide-dhcpv6, i'll give it another shot.

Thx