Unable to send Vendor Specific options from Server

Unable to send Vendor Specific options from Server

Sumant Gupta
Hi,

I am using ISC dhcpv6 server version 4.2.4 on Ubuntu.
My server config. file dhcpd6.conf has these lines:
       option dhcp6.vendor-opts
           00:00:XX:XX:   # where XX:XX is the enterprise-number
            00:01:00:0c:
                48:65:6c:6c:6f:20:77:6f:72:6c:64:21;

My client is sending OPTION_VENDOR_CLASS(16) to server with the correct enterprise-number, but the isc dhcp server doesn't send the data that is part of dhcp6.vendor-opts(in option 17) in the config. file.

Can somebody please let me know if I am missing something here ?

I also went through the code in Tables.c
#if 0
    /* XXX: user-class contents are of the form "StA" where the
     * integer describes the length of the text field.  We don't have
     * an atom for pre-determined-length octet strings yet, so we
     * can't quite do these two.
     */
    { "user-class", "X",            &dhcpv6_universe, 15, 1 },
    { "vendor-class", "X",            &dhcpv6_universe, 16, 1 },
#endif

Does this mean the server doesn't parse option 16 ?
Regards
Sumant

Re: Unable to send Vendor Specific options from Server

user885
Hi,

same problem here. DHCPv6 4.3.5 doesn't send Option 17.

Option 17 is send with same configuration in with DHCPv6 4.3.2 and 4.3.1. So
it looks like a problem with ISC DHCP.

--
Sent from: http://isc-dhcp-users.2343191.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Unable to send Vendor Specific options from Server

Thomas Markwalder
FYI:

We have confirmed this is indeed an issue and we are working on a
correction for it that will certainly be in 4.4.0 (our next feature
release) which is due out Q1-2018.  The patch for ticket 29246 which was
part of 4.3.5 and made it possible for FQDN to be sent back to an V6
client, apparently broke the functionality for fetching option 17.

We may have a patch for 4.3.6 available for testing prior to that.  In
the meantime, we apologize for any grief this may be causing you.

Regards,

Thomas Markwalder

ISC Software Engineering

On 11/03/2017 09:35 AM, user885 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> same problem here. DHCPv6 4.3.5 doesn't send Option 17.
>
> Option 17 is send with same configuration in with DHCPv6 4.3.2 and 4.3.1. So
> it looks like a problem with ISC DHCP.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://isc-dhcp-users.2343191.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Unable to send Vendor Specific options from Server

Thomas Markwalder
Hello:

A change in 4.3.5 (see #29246) which enabled it to send back the FQDN
option unfortunately broke its ability send back dhcp6.vendor-opts.

I've attached an unofficial patch for 4.3.6 (works for 4.3.5 as well)
that should correct the issue.  We will be including this change in
4.4.0 which is due out Q1/2018.  If you do test it, we would love to
hear feedback.

Thanks,

rt46427_v4.3.6.patch (578 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Unable to send Vendor Specific options from Server

user885
Hi,

attached patch fixes the issue, tested with 4.3.6.

Thank you.

--
Sent from: http://isc-dhcp-users.2343191.n4.nabble.com/