Shortening lease on one subnetL: need reduce MCLT for all?

Shortening lease on one subnetL: need reduce MCLT for all?

Nick Urbanik
Dear Folks,

On an ISC DHCP server failover pair, version 4.2.5, I need to shorten
the maximum DHCP lease time for one subnet from 2 hours to 20 minutes
temporarily to allow the IP address ranges to be expanded.  This is
together with a Cisco ASR9k that I am told is working as a caching
relay for the DHCP server pair.

Now it seems reasonable to reduce the MCLT to ten minutes during the
work.  Is that correct?  From my understanding, there will be rather
counterproductive behaviour if the MCLT is left longer than the
maximum lease: is that not the case?
--
Nick Urbanik http://nicku.org 808-71011 [hidden email]
GPG: 7FFA CDC7 5A77 0558 DC7A 790A 16DF EC5B BB9D 2C24  ID: BB9D2C24

Re: Shortening lease on one subnetL: need reduce MCLT for all?

John Wobus
> On an ISC DHCP server failover pair, version 4.2.5, I need to shorten
> the maximum DHCP lease time for one subnet from 2 hours to 20 minutes
> temporarily to allow the IP address ranges to be expanded.  This is
> together with a Cisco ASR9k that I am told is working as a caching
> relay for the DHCP server pair.
>
> Now it seems reasonable to reduce the MCLT to ten minutes during the
> work.  Is that correct?  From my understanding, there will be rather
> counterproductive behaviour if the MCLT is left longer than the
> maximum lease: is that not the case?

I think it’s reasonable to design around leases longer than
the MCLT for ordinary use but I don’t think violating that breaks
everything: I imagine it just makes failure recovery less than
ideal.

We run a shorter lease time than the MCLT regularly, for
clients in our “walled garden”, who we want to force to another
non-walled pool after they register with us, so we give them a
very short lease time.  This approach has its own challenges, but
I don’t recall the MCLT discrepancy being any practical concern.

I don’t know anything about caching relays.

John Wobus
Cornell U IT