Raw IP interface support under Linux

Loic Poulain
Hi folks,

Currently, network interfaces with ARPHRD_RAWIP sa_family type are not
supported by dhclient (contrary to e.g. udhcpc):

    dhclient: can't create /var/db/dhclient.leases: No such file or directory
    dhclient: Unsupported device type 519 for "rmnet_data1"

Is there any plan to add such support? Or any known limitation to not add this?

Regards,
Loic

Re: Raw IP interface support under Linux

Bjørn Mork
Loic Poulain <[hidden email]> writes:

> Currently, network interfaces with ARPHRD_RAWIP sa_family type are not
> supported by dhclient (contrary to e.g. udhcpc):
>
>     dhclient: can't create /var/db/dhclient.leases: No such file or directory
>     dhclient: Unsupported device type 519 for "rmnet_data1"
>
> Is there any plan to add such support? Or any known limitation to not add this?

I don't think there are any such plans.  But it's not difficult to
fix. I made a proof-of-concept patch 5 years ago:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2015-December/msg00044.html

This is Linux only, but I guess those raw-ip network drivers are too ;-)

Bjørn

Re: Raw IP interface support under Linux

Loic Poulain
Hi Bjørn,

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 19:46, Bjørn Mork <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Loic Poulain <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Currently, network interfaces with ARPHRD_RAWIP sa_family type are not
> > supported by dhclient (contrary to e.g. udhcpc):
> >
> >     dhclient: can't create /var/db/dhclient.leases: No such file or directory
> >     dhclient: Unsupported device type 519 for "rmnet_data1"
> >
> > Is there any plan to add such support? Or any known limitation to not add this?
>
> I don't think there are any such plans.  But it's not difficult to
> fix. I made a proof-of-concept patch 5 years ago:
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2015-December/msg00044.html
>
> This is Linux only, but I guess those raw-ip network drivers are too ;-)

Thanks for your input, IMHO, your patch could be merged with very
little changes. Not sure about the right upstream path but I assume
community changes should go through https://gitlab.isc.org. If you
don't plan to do it yourself, would you mind if I try to get your work
merged upstream?

Regards,
Loic

Re: Raw IP interface support under Linux

Bjørn Mork
Loic Poulain <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 19:46, Bjørn Mork <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Loic Poulain <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > Currently, network interfaces with ARPHRD_RAWIP sa_family type are not
>> > supported by dhclient (contrary to e.g. udhcpc):
>> >
>> >     dhclient: can't create /var/db/dhclient.leases: No such file or directory
>> >     dhclient: Unsupported device type 519 for "rmnet_data1"
>> >
>> > Is there any plan to add such support? Or any known limitation to not add this?
>>
>> I don't think there are any such plans.  But it's not difficult to
>> fix. I made a proof-of-concept patch 5 years ago:
>> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2015-December/msg00044.html
>>
>> This is Linux only, but I guess those raw-ip network drivers are too ;-)
>
> Thanks for your input, IMHO, your patch could be merged with very
> little changes. Not sure about the right upstream path but I assume
> community changes should go through https://gitlab.isc.org. If you
> don't plan to do it yourself, would you mind if I try to get your work
> merged upstream?

I don't mind at all. On the contrary.  It would be nice to have this
merged.

You may consider the patch MPL-2.0 licensed like the rest of isc-dhcp,
if that's important to anyone.

Bjørn

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 10:16, Bjørn Mork <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Loic Poulain <[hidden email]> writes:

> >> I don't think there are any such plans.  But it's not difficult to
> >> fix. I made a proof-of-concept patch 5 years ago:
> >> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2015-December/msg00044.html
> >>
> >> This is Linux only, but I guess those raw-ip network drivers are too ;-)
> >
> > Thanks for your input, IMHO, your patch could be merged with very
> > little changes. Not sure about the right upstream path but I assume
> > community changes should go through https://gitlab.isc.org. If you
> > don't plan to do it yourself, would you mind if I try to get your work
> > merged upstream?
>
> I don't mind at all. On the contrary.  It would be nice to have this
> merged.
>
> You may consider the patch MPL-2.0 licensed like the rest of isc-dhcp,
> if that's important to anyone.

Thanks, here is the merge request:

Regards,
Loic