Option (old Style) <option pxelinux> under 4.3* Version?

Option (old Style) <option pxelinux> under 4.3* Version?

Andreas Traub
Hi @ all,

with older ISC DHCPD Version we could give the DHCPD some Credentials with:
option pxelinux./ServerNameShort/ "TheServer";
option pxelinux./ServerNameLong/ "FQDN";
option pxelinux./ServiceUser/ "UserName";
option pxelinux./ServicePassword/ "Password";

With newer Versions of the DHCP Server the Syntax has changed it think.
We want to run ISC DHCPD with the actual Debian GNU/Linux - Stable, Version
4.3.5 is in the Repository.

Can someone help me with the Syntax of the actual DHCPD?

I know the Option IDs of the PXE Server, but don't know how to configure it
in the Config File of the DHCPD.
Option 129 => ServerNameShort
Option 131 => Password
Option 133 => ServerNameLong
Option 134 => UserName

Best regards,
Andi

--
Sent from: http://isc-dhcp-users.2343191.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Option (old Style) <option pxelinux> under 4.3* Version?

Thomas Markwalder
Hello Andreas:

Could you tell me what version of software you are currently running
(i.e. the older version)?

Per RFC 4578, those option values are not officially assigned for use
nor are their contents defined.  Because they are do not have an
official definition, they are compiled out of our source (see
common/tables.c):

:

#if 0
         /* Referenced by RFC 4578.
          * DO NOT UNCOMMENT THESE DEFINITIONS: these names are placeholders
          * and will not be used in future versions of the software.
          */
         { "pxe-undefined-1", "X", &dhcp_universe, 128, 1 },
         { "pxe-undefined-2", "X", &dhcp_universe, 129, 1 },
         { "pxe-undefined-3", "X", &dhcp_universe, 130, 1 },
         { "pxe-undefined-4", "X", &dhcp_universe, 131, 1 },
         { "pxe-undefined-5", "X", &dhcp_universe, 132, 1 },
         { "pxe-undefined-6", "X", &dhcp_universe, 133, 1 },
         { "pxe-undefined-7", "X", &dhcp_universe, 134, 1 },
         { "pxe-undefined-8", "X", &dhcp_universe, 135, 1 },
#endif

:

This block was added as shown above in 2006, prior to that there were no
definitions for them at all. As the options are not defined dhcpd will
not recognize them.

In order to support the syntax you cited, one would have to define an
option space "pxelinux" and provide option definitions for the
individual options: ServerNameShort,
ServerNameLong and so forth (see
https://www.isc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/dhcp44options.html#DEFINING%20NEW%20OPTIONS).

Thomas Markwalder
ISC Software Engineering

On 03/23/2018 09:07 AM, Andreas Traub wrote:

> Hi @ all,
>
> with older ISC DHCPD Version we could give the DHCPD some Credentials with:
> option pxelinux./ServerNameShort/ "TheServer";
> option pxelinux./ServerNameLong/ "FQDN";
> option pxelinux./ServiceUser/ "UserName";
> option pxelinux./ServicePassword/ "Password";
>
> With newer Versions of the DHCP Server the Syntax has changed it think.
> We want to run ISC DHCPD with the actual Debian GNU/Linux - Stable, Version
> 4.3.5 is in the Repository.
>
> Can someone help me with the Syntax of the actual DHCPD?
>
> I know the Option IDs of the PXE Server, but don't know how to configure it
> in the Config File of the DHCPD.
> Option 129 => ServerNameShort
> Option 131 => Password
> Option 133 => ServerNameLong
> Option 134 => UserName
>

> Best regards,
> Andi
>

> --
> Sent from: http://isc-dhcp-users.2343191.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Option (old Style) <option pxelinux> under 4.3* Version?

Andreas Traub
Hi,

thank you for the Response Thomas.

Thomas Markwalder wrote
> Could you tell me what version of software you are currently running
> (i.e. the older version)?

When we used those Options with a ISC DHCP Server, it was a Version of
3.0.3.
In the Meanwhile also other DHCP Server were used, but the Intention is to
use an actual Version of the ISC DHCP Server.

If i understand correctly, we can define those Options, but those weren't
interpreted by the DHCP Server?

It looks like that, i defined atm this one:

option space pxelinux;
option pxelinux.ServerNameShort code 129 = text;
option pxelinux.Password code 131 = text;
option pxelinux.ServerNameLong code 133 = text;
option pxelinux.User code 134 = text;
site-option-space "pxelinux";
option pxelinux.EmpirumServer "TheServerNameShort";
option pxelinux.EmpPW "ThePassword";
option pxelinux.EmpSrvLong "TheFQDN";
option pxelinux.EmpUser "TheUser";

Not surprising, i does not work atm. ;-)

The Server can be restarted with this one, but is sais clearly:

> WARNING: site-local option codes less than 224 have been deprecated by
> RFC3942.
> You have options listed in site local space pxelinux that number as low as
> 129.
> Please investigate if these should be declared as regular options rather
> than site-local options, or migrated up past 224.

The DHCP also only want to have this Options directly in the dhcpd.conf
File.
If placed in another File (like include "/etc/dhcp/clients.dhcpd.conf";) the
DHCP Server won't start.

I think we have to discuss the "Way to go" completely, also with a look on
this PXELinux System...

Best regards,
Andi

--