MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

Mike Richardson-2
Hiya,

Given Apple's decision to enable randomisation of MACs on IOS devices every
24 hours, I was wondering what effect this would have on DHCP?

For example, if you have a pool of 100 IPs, 50 IOS devices and leases set to
7 days.

At the moment the same 50 IPs would be assigned each day. Post-randomisation
50 would be assigned on day 1. On day 2, my understanding is that the devices
would REQUEST their previous IPs and be NACKed, then do a DISCOVER and get a
new lot of 50 addresses. What I'm unsure about is what happens on day 3? 'no
free leases', a ping check and reallocation of old addresses or something
else?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Mike
--
Mike Richardson

Re: MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

glenn.satchell
Hi Mike,

This is not something new, it has been around since IOS 8 in 2014. I
think this page summarises how it works and has links to Apple's site
with more details.

https://9to5mac.com/2014/09/26/more-details-on-how-ios-8s-mac-address-randomization-feature-works-and-when-it-doesnt/

It appears that it randomises the MAC address when the device is
passively scanning for networks and other particular settings are
enabled or disabled, so systems can't use the MAC address to
persistently track wherever you go. However, it seems that any
associations/joining of networks is based on the actual MAC address.

Or am I talking about something else entirely different?

regards,
Glenn

On 2020-07-24 19:10, Mike Richardson wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> Given Apple's decision to enable randomisation of MACs on IOS devices
> every
> 24 hours, I was wondering what effect this would have on DHCP?
>
> For example, if you have a pool of 100 IPs, 50 IOS devices and leases
> set to
> 7 days.
>
> At the moment the same 50 IPs would be assigned each day.
> Post-randomisation
> 50 would be assigned on day 1. On day 2, my understanding is that the
> devices
> would REQUEST their previous IPs and be NACKed, then do a DISCOVER and
> get a
> new lot of 50 addresses. What I'm unsure about is what happens on day
> 3? 'no
> free leases', a ping check and reallocation of old addresses or
> something
> else?
>
> Can anyone enlighten me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Re: MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

Mike Richardson-2
> Hi Mike,
>
> This is not something new, it has been around since IOS 8 in 2014. I think
> this page summarises how it works and has links to Apple's site with more
> details.
>
> https://9to5mac.com/2014/09/26/more-details-on-how-ios-8s-mac-address-randomization-feature-works-and-when-it-doesnt/
>
> It appears that it randomises the MAC address when the device is passively
> scanning for networks and other particular settings are enabled or disabled,
> so systems can't use the MAC address to persistently track wherever you go.
> However, it seems that any associations/joining of networks is based on the
> actual MAC address.
>
> Or am I talking about something else entirely different?

Something new I believe:

https://wifinowglobal.com/news-and-blog/new-private-wi-fi-address-iphone-feature-could-severely-impact-the-wi-fi-industry-expert-says/?mc_cid=9ff8988c11&mc_eid=000d85d9e3
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

Apple, in IOS14, are going to implement the changing of MACs every 24 hours
as the default, and different ones for each SSID, I believe.

I'm just trying to evaluate the impact on things like DHCP, but I'm not sure
about exactly what happens when pools are, sort of, exhausted.

Thanks,

Mike
--
Mike Richardson

** This email address will no longer work after 30th September 2018 **
** Please use [hidden email] instead for personal email      **
** For work related communication use [hidden email]    **

Re: MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

Michael De Roover
On 7/24/20 11:48 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> This is not something new, it has been around since IOS 8 in 2014. I
> think this page summarises how it works and has links to Apple's site
> with more details.
>
> https://9to5mac.com/2014/09/26/more-details-on-how-ios-8s-mac-address-randomization-feature-works-and-when-it-doesnt/
>

> It appears that it randomises the MAC address when the device is
> passively scanning for networks and other particular settings are
> enabled or disabled, so systems can't use the MAC address to
> persistently track wherever you go. However, it seems that any
> associations/joining of networks is based on the actual MAC address.

On Android this has also been implemented since either 9 or 10 I think..
not 100% sure. In it the option to use the real device MAC can be chosen
on a per-network basis though. By default both the discovery and the
eventual connection have the MAC randomized. So for my DHCP server which
gives static leases based on the MAC address, making it use the real MAC
ended up being imperative. I really hope that this option will not be
removed. Development on ISC dhcp seems to have pretty much ended since
about half a year ago, so if it does get removed client-side I'd
probably have to rethink the server side.

--
Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards,
Michael De Roover

Re: MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

Joshua Stark
The user can decide to turn the feature off on the Apple device per WiFi network:

Rarely, a network might allow you to join with a private address, but won't allow Internet access. If that happens, you can choose to stop using private addresses with that network
(https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227)

I agree, this will make things different, harder initially. One example that comes to mind is white/black lists on WiFi networks, that will go out the window.
And the other of being able to set a static IPv4 will be next to impossible.

But was that not the point of IPv6 - totally random

In my mind this means we need an evolution of how we do things, like how AWS/GCP have taken the classic firewall of IP/Port to a Service Layer Firewall.
There is going to need to be another way to identify a device to allow automatic re-authentication, like public WiFi where you purchase access for greater then 24hrs.

How we do that, I don't know, but it's time to start thinking about how to implement the next
evolution in technology!

Thanks
Josh

On 24/7/20 20:59, Mike Richardson wrote:
[...]

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

Bill Shirley-2

No, the point of IPv6 is more addresses.  Then the privacy advocates and DHCP haters
jumped onboard and made IPv6 very complicated.  For DHCPv6, most devices don't
sent the host name.  This makes if very hard to keep DNS updated.  However, kudos to
Microsoft because Windows does send the host name.

Yes, random MAC addresses will lead to problems assigning static addresses.  It will
be impossible to open a port (in-going or out-going) on the firewall for a special device.

For IPv4 you can identify a device by host name because most devices send it:
class "identify_by_hostname" {
    match option host-name;
}
subclass "identify_by_hostname"    "android-4867fdc048d28c06"                    { ddns-hostname "My-eXpro-tablet"; }    # this works
Just add a fixed-address between the {} to the subclass entry if desired.

Who ever comes up with this randomization stuff has obviously never been a network administrator.

To address Mike's post, shorten your lease times:
class "mobile_device" {
    match if (
        option host-name ~~ "dhcpcd"
        or option host-name ~~ "android"
        or option host-name ~~ "iphone"
        or option host-name ~~ "samsung-sm"
        or option host-name ~~ "ipod"
        or option host-name ~~ "ipad"
        or option host-name ~~ "a?p?plewatch"
        or option host-name ~~ "nintendo 3ds"
        or option host-name ~~ "galaxy-"
        or option host-name ~~ "g7-thinq"
        or option host-name ~~ "v40-thinq"
        or option vendor-class-identifier ~~ "android-dhcp"
    );
# optional: to make devices unique (for DNS) that have a duplicate host name (users haven't changed the default):
    if (lcase(option host-name) = "iphone")   { ddns-hostname = concat("iPhone-", binary-to-ascii(16, 8, "", substring(hardware, 4, 3))); }
    if (lcase(option host-name) = "iphone-2") { ddns-hostname = concat("iPhone2-", binary-to-ascii(16, 8, "", substring(hardware, 4, 3))); }
    if (lcase(option host-name) = "iphone-3") { ddns-hostname = concat("iPhone3-", binary-to-ascii(16, 8, "", substring(hardware, 4, 3))); }
    if (lcase(option host-name) = "ipod")     { ddns-hostname = concat("iPod-", binary-to-ascii(16, 8, "", substring(hardware, 4, 3))); }
    if (lcase(option host-name) = "ipad")     { ddns-hostname = concat("iPad-", binary-to-ascii(16, 8, "", substring(hardware, 4, 3))); }
    if ((substring(lcase(option fqdn.hostname), 0, 8) = "g7-thinq") or (substring(lcase(option host-name), 0, 8) = "g7-thinq")) {
        ddns-hostname = concat("g7-thinq-", binary-to-ascii(16, 8, "", substring(hardware, 4, 3)));
    }
    if not ((exists server.ddns-hostname) or (exists fqdn.hostname) or (exists host-name)) {
        if (substring(lcase(option vendor-class-identifier), 0, 12) = "android-dhcp") {
            ddns-hostname = concat("android-dhcp-", binary-to-ascii(16, 8, "", substring(hardware, 4, 3)));
        }
    }
}
class "Other_mobile" {
    match hardware;
    set member_of = "mobile_device";
}
subclass "Other_mobile"    1:68:09:ff:49:0a:35;    # Brenda's-phone
subclass "
Other_mobile"    1:00:aa:f6:01:05:fe     { ddns-hostname "Ricks-phone"; }
.

.
subnet 192.168.99.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
.
.
# ------------------
    pool {
        allow members of "mobile_device";
        allow members of "Other_mobile";

        deny dynamic bootp clients;

        adaptive-lease-time-threshold       75;       # use min-lease-time when pool is above this percent
        min-lease-time            3600;     # 1 hour
        default-lease-time        14400;    # 4 hours

        max-lease-time            28800;    # 8 hours

        range 192.168.99.128    192.168.99.191;    #
192.168.99.128/26 (64 addresses)
    }
# ------------------
.
.
}
Note the adaptive-lease-time-threshold statement.

Bill

On 7/24/2020 9:46 PM, Joshua Stark wrote:
But was that not the point of IPv6 - totally random

Re: MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

glenn.satchell
Hi Mike,

I think in the short term setting the lease time to 24 hours would free
up old leases after the MAC address changes, meaning the old client
effectively goes away. Public places like shopping malls, should already
have shorter leases due to the massive churn in clients, so it's not
going to bother them much.

But that doesn't address any of the issues with identifying individual
devices, eg to put into different classes. For that I think it will need
an education scheme with your users to turn off the feature on networks
where identifying the client matters, eg corporate or home networks.

I think this will evolve to having some other persistent identifier for
systems to use.

regards,
-glenn

On 2020-07-25 11:46, Joshua Stark wrote:

> [...]
>>> so systems can't use the MAC address to persistently track
>>> wherever you go.
>>> However, it seems that any associations/joining of networks is
>>> based on the
>>> actual MAC address.
>>>
>>> Or am I talking about something else entirely different?
>>
>> Something new I believe:
>>

> https://wifinowglobal.com/news-and-blog/new-private-wi-fi-address-iphone-feature-could-severely-impact-the-wi-fi-industry-expert-says/?mc_cid=9ff8988c11&mc_eid=000d85d9e3
>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227
>>
>> Apple, in IOS14, are going to implement the changing of MACs every
>> 24 hours
>> as the default, and different ones for each SSID, I believe.
>>
>> I'm just trying to evaluate the impact on things like DHCP, but I'm
>> not sure
>> about exactly what happens when pools are, sort of, exhausted.

Rudy Zijlstra
Hi Glenn,

The DHCP Id should be stable, at least according to the dhcp RFC. I need
to start playing around a bit...

I do understand the privacy concerns here, and why this is being
implemented.

Cheers

Rudy

On 26-07-2020 05:02, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>> how to implement the next evolution in technology!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Josh

>> https://9to5mac.com/2014/09/26/more-details-on-how-ios-8s-mac-address-randomization-feature-works-and-when-it-doesnt/

>>> Something new I believe:
>>>

>> https://wifinowglobal.com/news-and-blog/new-private-wi-fi-address-iphone-feature-could-severely-impact-the-wi-fi-industry-expert-says/?mc_cid=9ff8988c11&mc_eid=000d85d9e3
>>
>>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227
>>>
>>> Apple, in IOS14, are going to implement the changing of MACs every
>>> 24 hours
>>> as the default, and different ones for each SSID, I believe.
>>>
>>> I'm just trying to evaluate the impact on things like DHCP, but I'm
>>> not sure
>>> about exactly what happens when pools are, sort of, exhausted.

Hi Rudy,

That's good to know, but bypasses all the security offered by random MAC
addresses, since a site can track using the DHCP ID :)

regards,
-glenn

On 2020-07-26 18:26, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> I agree, this will make things different, harder initially. One
>>> example that comes to mind is white/black lists on WiFi networks,
>>> that
>>> will go out the window.
>>> And the other of being able to set a static IPv4 will be next to
>>> impossible.
>>>
>>> But was that not the point of IPv6 - totally random
>>>
>>> In my mind this means we need an evolution of how we do things, like
>>> how AWS/GCP have taken the classic firewall of IP/Port to a Service
>>> Layer Firewall.
>>> There is going to need to be another way to identify a device to
>>> allow
>>> automatic re-authentication, like public WiFi where you purchase
>>> access for greater then 24hrs.
>>>
>>> How we do that, I don't know, but it's time to start thinking about
>>> how to implement the next evolution in technology!

Would need to check the RFC, but if that remains stable on the network
it is sufficient.

This is also why i say i need to start playing/inveztigating with it.
Android10 also has this feature. Of course, the likelyhood that goodle
and Apple implement in the same way is not high :)

Cheers

Rudy

On 26-07-2020 10:50, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Rudy,
>
> That's good to know, but bypasses all the security offered by random
> MAC addresses, since a site can track using the DHCP ID :)
>
> regards,
> -glenn
>
> On 2020-07-26 18:26, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>> Hi Glenn,
>>
>> The DHCP Id should be stable, at least according to the dhcp RFC. I
>> need to start playing around a bit...
>>
>> I do understand the privacy concerns here, and why this is being
>> implemented.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Rudy
>>
>> On 26-07-2020 05:02, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> I think in the short term setting the lease time to 24 hours would
>>> free up old leases after the MAC address changes, meaning the old
>>> client effectively goes away. Public places like shopping malls,
>>> should already have shorter leases due to the massive churn in
>>> clients, so it's not going to bother them much.
>>>
>>> But that doesn't address any of the issues with identifying
>>> individual devices, eg to put into different classes. For that I
>>> think it will need an education scheme with your users to turn off
>>> the feature on networks where identifying the client matters, eg
>>> corporate or home networks.
>>>
>>> I think this will evolve to having some other persistent identifier
>>> for systems to use.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> -glenn

Re: MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

Mike Richardson-2
> I think in the short term setting the lease time to 24 hours would free up
> old leases after the MAC address changes, meaning the old client effectively
> goes away. Public places like shopping malls, should already have shorter
> leases due to the massive churn in clients, so it's not going to bother them
> much.

Thanks for the advice but I'm really trying to understand what the behaviour
of DHCP would be in the original scenario (100 addresses, 50 clients, 7 days
lease).

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 03:13:16PM -0400, Bill Shirley wrote:
>    Did you see my reply about:?
>    adaptive-lease-time-threshold       75;       # use min-lease-time when
>    pool is above this percent

I did and thanks for the information, that sounds very useful in the
circumstances but I'm not after a solution to a problem, I'm just trying to
understand the behaviour of the server in a given configuration.  I have to
write up a 'these are the implications' type summary to be sent to a large
number of different organisations and knowing what happens when using longer
leases will help.  I don't know their configurations and can't dictate to
them.  All I can do is say "if you're doing X then Y happens".

Thanks,

Mike

--
Mike Richardson

Re: MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

glenn.satchell
Hi Mike,

Going back to the original question where you have a pool of 100 leases
and 50 clients with a 7 day lease time. Here is what I think might
happen.

On day 1 the 50 clients each take one lease. 50 in use, 50 free.

On day 2 the 50 clients all have a new MAC address, now we assume that
once the new MAC switches over the next time the client tries to renew
it will not match the old lease but will get a new lease. With a 7 day
lease the usual renewal time is half way through the lease, so none of
these 50 clients try to renew until 3.5 days after initially getting the
lease. So no problems for days 2 or 3 until later in the day.

So now we have 50 old leases and 50 new leases. Of course some systems
may have been shutdown and released their lease, so maybe less than 50
leases in use initially so <50 old leases and 50 new leases.

On day 4 the first few clients to renew with a new MAC address use up
the previous few free leases. Other clients get "no free leases". The
dhcp server can't revoke a lease it has already legitimately given to a
client. I would expect this behaviour to continue until the first of the
7 day leases expire.

Now the question is, for a client with a new MAC address, but possibly
the same dhcp-identifier, will it match the existing lease? If it does
match,then no problem. Behaviour will be much the same as previously.

The other thing with this is that if the client gets a new IP address,
all existing sessions break, so apps and webpages may have to reload or
may not pass authentication. So there could be a noticeable
interruption.

The above is what I think will happen based on my understanding of ISC
dhcpd. I don't really know exactly how the new IOS version will behave.
I would suggest setting up a trial and testing with one of these new
devices and see what actually happens. There are too many variables to
predict what will happen exactly.

regards,
-glenn

On 2020-07-27 19:34, Mike Richardson wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 03:13:16PM -0400, Bill Shirley wrote:
>>    Did you see my reply about:?
>>    adaptive-lease-time-threshold       75;       # use min-lease-time
>> when
>>    pool is above this percent
>
> I did and thanks for the information, that sounds very useful in the
> circumstances but I'm not after a solution to a problem, I'm just
> trying to
> understand the behaviour of the server in a given configuration.  I
> have to
> write up a 'these are the implications' type summary to be sent to a
> large
> number of different organisations and knowing what happens when using
> longer
> leases will help.  I don't know their configurations and can't dictate
> them.  All I can do is say "if you're doing X then Y happens".
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Re: MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

Pallissard, Matthew-2

On 2020-07-24T10:10:54 +0100, Mike Richardson wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> Given Apple's decision to enable randomisation of MACs on IOS devices every
> 24 hours, I was wondering what effect this would have on DHCP?
>
> For example, if you have a pool of 100 IPs, 50 IOS devices and leases set to
> 7 days.
>
> At the moment the same 50 IPs would be assigned each day. Post-randomisation
> 50 would be assigned on day 1. On day 2, my understanding is that the devices
> would REQUEST their previous IPs and be NACKed, then do a DISCOVER and get a
> new lot of 50 addresses. What I'm unsure about is what happens on day 3? 'no
> free leases', a ping check and reallocation of old addresses or something
> else?
>
> Can anyone enlighten me?

To answer your question,

Yes, you'd wind up with multiple reservations per client.  Options that can
help free up older leases do exist, but they aren't bulletproof.  Look at
adaptive-lease-time-threshold and min-min-lease-time.

For Android, this is a non issue.
https://source.android.com/devices/tech/connect/wifi-mac-randomization

For IOS, this is configurable https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227.  This
should be included in the profile that deploys the org's wifi settings.

As an aside,

I fail to see the use case for long reservations in the first place.  Lower the
lease time and move on with life.

MAC addresses are a terrible canonical identifier, let alone an authentication
mechanism.  If you need some sort of privileged access based on reservations
have users connect to a 'privileged network'.  IMO a VPN is better tool for
this than a wifi network.

Matt Pallissard

Re: MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

Sten Carlsen
From reading the links provided by Matt, I see a somewhat better situation. Thanks Matt for providing this information.
I may not have read all the information correctly, so no guarantee.
Inline below:
--
Best regards
Sten Carlsen

For every problem, there is a solution that
is simple, elegant, and wrong.
HL Mencken

On 27 Jul 2020, at 15.08, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi Mike,

Going back to the original question where you have a pool of 100 leases and 50 clients with a 7 day lease time. Here is what I think might happen.

On day 1 the 50 clients each take one lease. 50 in use, 50 free.

On day 2 the 50 clients all have a new MAC address, now we assume that once the new MAC switches over the next time the client tries to renew it will not match the old lease but will get a new lease. With a 7 day lease the usual renewal time is half way through the lease, so none of these 50 clients try to renew until 3.5 days after initially getting the lease. So no problems for days 2 or 3 until later in the day.
For IOS the MAC stays constant until it detaches from that network, so renewal is not an issue. Going away and returning later might be but then the old lease should be free - for each network the user can chose to keep a constant MAC, some will, most will not is my guess.

So now we have 50 old leases and 50 new leases. Of course some systems may have been shutdown and released their lease, so maybe less than 50 leases in use initially so <50 old leases and 50 new leases.

On day 4 the first few clients to renew with a new MAC address use up the previous few free leases. Other clients get "no free leases". The dhcp server can't revoke a lease it has already legitimately given to a client. I would expect this behaviour to continue until the first of the 7 day leases expire.

Now the question is, for a client with a new MAC address, but possibly the same dhcp-identifier, will it match the existing lease? If it does match,then no problem. Behaviour will be much the same as previously.
AFAIK in the RFC, the ClientID is to main ID, MAC is not used by default, only as a second option, so fixed ID should be fine.

The other thing with this is that if the client gets a new IP address, all existing sessions break, so apps and webpages may have to reload or may not pass authentication. So there could be a noticeable interruption.
Since at least IOS seems to keep the MAC while connected, this is not a problem, The new address comes with the next discover in dhcpd

The above is what I think will happen based on my understanding of ISC dhcpd. I don't really know exactly how the new IOS version will behave. I would suggest setting up a trial and testing with one of these new devices and see what actually happens. There are too many variables to predict what will happen exactly.
It seems that IOS would change addresses between networks but not across renewals. That will reduce the traceability quite much with little harm. If needed the IOS can be told to not change the MAC for any particular network.

regards,
-glenn

Re: MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

Gregory Sloop
Re: MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

MP> As an aside,

MP> I fail to see the use case for long reservations in the first place.  Lower the
MP> lease time and move on with life.

I think the question is: What's a long reservation? 7 days hardly ever seems appropriate. But the same is true for, say 2m.

If you set 10m reservations and have a problem with the DHCP server, it's going to be a *REALLY* big problem in 10m. (Oops!)
[Don't ask me how I know this! :) ]

So, I tend to pick reservation times with an eye toward giving me some breathing room should a DHCP server die or otherwise have problems.
But for pools of IP's with a lot of churn, that comes up against lease exhaustion.

There's no really great universal answer. You're right, at least on the surface, Matt - shorter reservations are helpful. But it's not a one-ended calculation - where shorter is almost universally better. It's a trade-off.

And to expand the pool of options (pun intended) - How about a bigger address pool as an option? I think in most of the cases where we're talking Wifi pools with high churn, a bigger pool isn't that hard to come by . And then, churn isn't as large a problem and super short leases aren't as critical.

Re: MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

Mike Richardson-2
Thanks. That's just what I needed. The question about the fixed identifier
is interesting.  If devices/DHCP use it then things won't break (as much)
but it's not exactly a great approach to privacy if the device can still be
tracked this way.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 07:36:36PM +0200, Sten Carlsen wrote:
>    From reading the links provided by Matt, I see a somewhat better
>    situation. Thanks Matt for providing this information.
>
>    I may not have read all the information correctly, so no guarantee.

One of the articles I posted states that the MAC will change every 24 hours,
which means that things could change mid-lease, between renewals, if
correct. The Apple site mentions 'periodically', which could mean anything
really.

Thanks,

Mike