Host definitions in lease file

Teja
Hi ,

I have the host reservation data in the configuration file and it is working fine, the host is getting the same IP which has been configured in the conf file But I don't see the lease entry of the host IP in the
lease files, Does the ISC dhcpd  doesn't store the lease data of the host entries in the lease file?
if not do we have a way  to get the info of active hosts list from the specified DHCP server?

Thanks in Advance

Re: Host definitions in lease file

Simon Hobson
Surya Teja <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have the host reservation data in the configuration file and it is working fine, the host is getting the same IP which has been configured in the conf file But I don't see the lease entry of the host IP in the
> lease files, Does the ISC dhcpd  doesn't store the lease data of the host entries in the lease file?
> if not do we have a way  to get the info of active hosts list from the specified DHCP server?

If you use a host declaration then no lease record is stored. Basically, there's no need since all the information the server needs to service the client is in the host declaration. The server doesn't keep track of these non-leases, and nothing is stored in the leases file.

The server now supports reserved leases. By setting the reserved flag, a lease will be reserved for only that client (so fixed address much like with a host statement & fixed-address statement) - but as it's a "real" lease it goes through the normal lease lifecycle.

Re: Host definitions in lease file

Teja
Thanks for reply Simon,
I just want to know how many of the active lease of the dhcp server, So from the lease file I am getting the info of all scope IP's but reserved is missing just curios to know if there is way to get the info of the active host objects

I have one more doubt I am putting all my host declaration statements in there respective subnet section just to maintain my conf easy readable to know this host IP belongs to this subnet like that, when i restart the dhcpd it gives me warning
saying warning that host declarations should be global , yes the functionality is working fine but just want to know will it impact any server performance?

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 4:02 AM Simon Hobson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Surya Teja <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have the host reservation data in the configuration file and it is working fine, the host is getting the same IP which has been configured in the conf file But I don't see the lease entry of the host IP in the
> lease files, Does the ISC dhcpd  doesn't store the lease data of the host entries in the lease file?
> if not do we have a way  to get the info of active hosts list from the specified DHCP server?

If you use a host declaration then no lease record is stored. Basically, there's no need since all the information the server needs to service the client is in the host declaration. The server doesn't keep track of these non-leases, and nothing is stored in the leases file.

The server now supports reserved leases. By setting the reserved flag, a lease will be reserved for only that client (so fixed address much like with a host statement & fixed-address statement) - but as it's a "real" lease it goes through the normal lease lifecycle.

Re: Host definitions in lease file

Simon Hobson
Surya Teja <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I just want to know how many of the active lease of the dhcp server, So
>from the lease file I am getting the info of all scope IP's but
>reserved is
>missing just curios to know if there is way to get the info of the
>active
>host objects

No, the server does not record that.

>I have one more doubt I am putting all my host declaration statements
>in
>there respective subnet section just to maintain my conf easy readable
>know this host IP belongs to this subnet like that, when i restart the
>dhcpd it gives me warning
>saying warning that host declarations should be global , yes the
>functionality is working fine but just want to know will it impact any
>server performance?

Thecwarning is correct - if a client connects to a different network then it'll get an IP for that network, but inherit options from where it's host statement is located. This is almost certsinly notvwhat you want !
If you are certain the no host will ever move, then no problem. BUT, perhaps a few years down the line, someone will do something different - odd things will happen (eg client given a lease with wrong router address), and much confusion will ensue.

That's why the advice is "just don't do that". Keep your hosts in the global scope.