Dhcpd with ipv6 support

Anjali Krishna
Hi all,

I am testing ipv6 support between my embedded board and Android phone.

Two embedded boards are getting connected with ipv6 when running dhcpd - 6 in server and dhclient - 6 in client side.

As an extension of the testing,I configured my board as ipv6 hostpot and tries connecting my android phone which supports ipv6.. The process got stuck at obtaining ip address message in phone wifi screen.

I m doubting some configuration is missing in my wifi server dhcpd configuration.

Any help would be appreciated

Regard,
Anjali

Re: Dhcpd with ipv6 support

Joshua Stark
Hi Krishna,

iPhone's are the same.

You need to use a Router Advertisement Daemon to send back the flags needed for the client to go looking for a DHCPv6 server.

There is lots of good resources out on the web, what you need to do is look at DHCPv6 vs SLAAC (Stateless Address Auto-Configuration)

For the RAD, I use radvd on my gateway, the configuration can be found here: https://linux.die.net/man/5/radvd.conf

I use the options:
   # Set to on to turn on Stateful DHCPv6
   # If set to off, then will use Stateless IPv6
   AdvManagedFlag on;
   AdvOtherConfigFlag on;

To tell the clients to go looking for DHCPv6

Thanks
Josh

On 10/8/20 07:59, Bill Shirley wrote:

Most Android devices don't support getting an IPv6 address via DHCP.

Bill

On 8/9/2020 4:11 AM, Anjali Krishna wrote:
Hi all,

I am testing ipv6 support between my embedded board and Android phone.

Two embedded boards are getting connected with ipv6 when running dhcpd - 6 in server and dhclient - 6 in client side.

As an extension of the testing,I configured my board as ipv6 hostpot and tries connecting my android phone which supports ipv6.. The process got stuck at obtaining ip address message in phone wifi screen.

I m doubting some configuration is missing in my wifi server dhcpd configuration.

Any help would be appreciated

Regard,
Anjali

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Dhcpd with ipv6 support

Bill Shirley-2

No matter who the vendor is, for IPv6 all devices require a Router Advertisement Daemon.

iDevices support DHCPv6.  Most Android devices do not.  For your reading pleasure:
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36949085

Bill

On 8/9/2020 6:47 PM, Joshua Stark wrote:
[...]

    I tried the radvd daemon in yocto.
But before I could continue further I came across the license info of Radvd. I am allowed only to use packages which has GPL v2 license unfortunately radvd has BSD license.(it is a constraint from our higher development team).

Is there any other way I can move forward.?. I searched for any alternative for radvd but could not find it

I am stuck here. Any further suggestion would be appreciated

Regards,

Anjali

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 10:41 pm Bill Shirley, <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

glenn.satchell
Hi Anjali

Maybe the network switch or router has a builtin router advertisement
feature?

regards,
-glenn

On 2020-08-26 13:54, Anjali Krishna wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I tried the radvd daemon in yocto.
> But before I could continue further I came across the license info of
> Radvd. I am allowed only to use packages which has GPL v2 license
> unfortunately radvd has BSD license.(it is a constraint from our
> higher development team).
>
> Is there any other way I can move forward.?. I searched for any
> alternative for radvd but could not find it
>
> I am stuck here. Any further suggestion would be appreciated
>
> Regards,
>
> Anjali
>
> On Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 10:41 pm Bill Shirley,
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> No matter who the vendor is, for IPv6 all devices require a Router
>> Advertisement Daemon.
>>
>> iDevices support DHCPv6.  Most Android devices do not.  For your
>> reading pleasure:
>> https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36949085
>>
>> Bill
>> On 8/9/2020 6:47 PM, Joshua Stark wrote:
>> Hi Krishna,
>>
>> iPhone's are the same.
>>
>> You need to use a Router Advertisement Daemon to send back the flags
>> needed for the client to go looking for a DHCPv6 server.
>>
>> There is lots of good resources out on the web, what you need to do
>> is look at DHCPv6 vs SLAAC (Stateless Address Auto-Configuration)
>>
>> For the RAD, I use radvd on my gateway, the configuration can be
>> found here: https://linux.die.net/man/5/radvd.conf
>>
>> I use the options:
>> # Set to on to turn on Stateful DHCPv6
>> # If set to off, then will use Stateless IPv6
>> AdvManagedFlag on;
>> AdvOtherConfigFlag on;
>>
>> To tell the clients to go looking for DHCPv6
>>
>> Thanks
>> Josh
>>
>> On 10/8/20 07:59, Bill Shirley wrote:
>>
>> Most Android devices don't support getting an IPv6 address via DHCP.
>>
>> Bill
>> On 8/9/2020 4:11 AM, Anjali Krishna wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am testing ipv6 support between my embedded board and Android
>> phone.
>>
>> Two embedded boards are getting connected with ipv6 when running
>> dhcpd - 6 in server and dhclient - 6 in client side.
>>
>> As an extension of the testing,I configured my board as ipv6 hostpot
>> and tries connecting my android phone which supports ipv6.. The
>> process got stuck at obtaining ip address message in phone wifi
>> screen.
>>
>> I m doubting some configuration is missing in my wifi server dhcpd
>> configuration.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated
>>
>> Regard,
>> Anjali

Re: Dhcpd with ipv6 support

Anjali Krishna
Hi,

Since my embedded board has to function as an Wi-Fi hotspot, adding radvd functionality is on my hands where exactly I am helpless.

On 2020-08-26 13:54, Anjali Krishna wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I tried the radvd daemon in yocto.
> But before I could continue further I came across the license info of
> Radvd. I am allowed only to use packages which has GPL v2 license
> unfortunately radvd has BSD license.(it is a constraint from our
> higher development team).
>
> Is there any other way I can move forward.?. I searched for any
> alternative for radvd but could not find it
>
> I am stuck here. Any further suggestion would be appreciated
>
> Regards,
>
> Anjali
>
> On Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 10:41 pm Bill Shirley,
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> No matter who the vendor is, for IPv6 all devices require a Router
>> Advertisement Daemon.
>>
>> iDevices support DHCPv6.  Most Android devices do not.  For your
>> reading pleasure:
>> https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36949085
>>
>> Bill
>> On 8/9/2020 6:47 PM, Joshua Stark wrote:
>> Hi Krishna,
>>
>> iPhone's are the same.
>>
>> You need to use a Router Advertisement Daemon to send back the flags
>> needed for the client to go looking for a DHCPv6 server.
>>
>> There is lots of good resources out on the web, what you need to do
>> is look at DHCPv6 vs SLAAC (Stateless Address Auto-Configuration)
>>
>> For the RAD, I use radvd on my gateway, the configuration can be
>> found here: https://linux.die.net/man/5/radvd.conf
>>
>> I use the options:
>> # Set to on to turn on Stateful DHCPv6
>> # If set to off, then will use Stateless IPv6
>> AdvManagedFlag on;
>> AdvOtherConfigFlag on;
>>
>> To tell the clients to go looking for DHCPv6
>>
>> Thanks
>> Josh
>>
>> On 10/8/20 07:59, Bill Shirley wrote:
>>
>> Most Android devices don't support getting an IPv6 address via DHCP.
>>
>> Bill
>> On 8/9/2020 4:11 AM, Anjali Krishna wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am testing ipv6 support between my embedded board and Android
>> phone.
>>
>> Two embedded boards are getting connected with ipv6 when running
>> dhcpd - 6 in server and dhclient - 6 in client side.
>>
>> As an extension of the testing,I configured my board as ipv6 hostpot
>> and tries connecting my android phone which supports ipv6.. The
>> process got stuck at obtaining ip address message in phone wifi
>> screen.
>>
>> I m doubting some configuration is missing in my wifi server dhcpd
>> configuration.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated
>>
>> Regard,
>> Anjali

Re: Dhcpd with ipv6 support

Robert Socha
Hi,

Try luck with dnsmasq. It's GPL2 and have RA support (--enable-ra).

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html

Regards

W dniu 26.08.2020 o 06:33, Anjali Krishna pisze:

> [...]
>      >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      >> https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcp-users
>      >
>      > ISC funds the development of this software with paid support
>      > subscriptions. Contact us at https://www.isc.org/contact/ for more
>      > information.
>      >
>      > dhcp-users mailing list
>      > https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcp-users
>      >
>      >  _______________________________________________
>      > ISC funds the development of this software with paid support
>      > subscriptions. Contact us at https://www.isc.org/contact/ for more
>      > information.
>      >
>      > dhcp-users mailing list
>      > https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcp-users
>      > ISC funds the development of this software with paid support

Is dibbler an alternate for radvd?

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020, 12:46 pm Robert Socha, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcp-users
>      >
>      >  _______________________________________________
>      > ISC funds the development of this software with paid support
>      > subscriptions. Contact us at https://www.isc.org/contact/ for more
>      > information.
>      >
>      > dhcp-users mailing list
>      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcp-users
>      > ISC funds the development of this software with paid support
>      > subscriptions. Contact us at https://www.isc.org/contact/ for more
>      > information.
>      >
>      > dhcp-users mailing list
>      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Romskie
Dribbler is an alternative to isc dhcpv6, it is a dhcpv6 client / server.