DHCPv6_Pool.Allocation_Methods

Victor Lyapunov
Hello All

For a xDSL deployment we are trying to provide a relative lease stability for the CPEs. Effectively to ensure that the subscribers - after the lost of DSL sync - receive the same address (especially DHCP_PD since we need to avoid having to re-address the CPE's LAN after every lost of DSL sync)

Is there a way to achieve this using ISC? For Kea DHCP serverĀ
(http://git.kea.isc.org/~tester/kea/doxygen/d8/d5f/libdhcpsrv.html)
it makes mention to a "hashed - allocator" where the server assigns addresses based on a hash of the subscribers's DUID (Not sure if Kea can do it for DHCP_PD but it seem a very useful functionality)

Is there a way to achive this in ISC DHCP server, namely assign addresses based on a hash of a subscribers's DUID (instead of simply iterating through the pool)?

Are there any other alternative to achive this "relative lease stability" for DHCP_PD?

Best Regards

Victor

Re: DHCPv6_Pool.Allocation_Methods

Shawn Routhier

On Oct 14, 2015, at 1:07 AM, Victor Lyapunov <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

ISC DHCP does use a hash to pick the address or prefix to use.

Shawn

Re: DHCPv6_Pool.Allocation_Methods

Victor Lyapunov
Thnx Shawn, this is good to know

I did the initial DHCP_PD tests with a relatively small pool (64 prefixes and 2 clients) and and I saw incrental address assignment (the server giving out first, then the second etc).I will perform the tests again with bigger pool + more clients to get a better understanding.

For DHCP_PD in relay mode do you know on which fields does the ISC bases its hashing (just DUID?)

Regards

Victor