DHCP failover implementation

Chris Bauer
Hello

I am looking at implementing failover on two existing servers at two different locations and have several questions.

I would like to set them up so that each of them remains primary for its location with the other being secondary. If I'm looking at the documentation correctly, I should be able to set up two failover groups on different ports with different splits to accomplish this using the same servers. Is this correct?

I was hoping to implement this gradually per subnet by moving the statements into include files one at a a time and testing. If this is done this way, what would the behavior of pools with no failover configuration if one of the servers moves into a partner-down state?

Also, we are using host declarations to assign static addresses with some automated scripts that restart the DHCP service when there are changes. I am concerned about restarting the servers sequentially and the time it will take the failover to return to a normal state. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Just as an FYI, these are OEL servers running the ISC DHCPD 4.2.5 package with approximately 40k leases on one server and 15k leases on the other at peak usage.

Thank you
-Chris

--
"Behold I do not give lectures or a little charity, When I give I give myself." - Walt Whitman