DHCP Relay Agent - Bad Checksum going out

DHCP Relay Agent - Bad Checksum going out

Gero Palacio
Hi Everybody!

I'm currently designing a network and I would like to have a pair of DHCP servers in failover mode, with relay agents in each subnet to retransmit the DHCP messages.

Setup

* Version "4.2.4-7ubuntu12" of isc-dhcp-server, isc-dhcp-client & isc-dhcp-relay
* Linux Mint 17
* Network emulated using CORE emulator v4.6.

Problem

When a host sends a DHCP discovery, the message goes out the host's interface with the correct checksum. But, when it's retransmitted by the relay agent, the checksum is wrong. This means the DHCP server discards the request and the host does not get an IP address. I found there's a similar problem when using KVM for visualization (bug #930962) but CORE emulator uses Linux Containers and, as far as I understand, this should not be a problem.

I know that a temporary solution would be deactivate checksum offloading, but I don't feel comfortable with that solution and right now I don't have the hardware to test it on a real environment.

Has anybody had a similar problem? Should updating to version 4.2.8 solve this issue?

Thanks all for your help!
Have a good one,
Geronimo.