DHCP Failover with IPv6 on dhcpd 4.3.2

Marc Haber
Hi,

I have recently been trying to get DHCP Failover running with dhcpd
4.3.2 with IPv6. This has proven to be fun, since the dhcpd does not
seem to be happy with either way to place the "failover peer"
statement.

The only place where the dhcpd will not complain about a syntax error
is inside a (mandatory!) shared-network statement, but outside any
subnet statement. In that case, the dhcpd complains about "failover
peer declaration with no referring pools".

In all other cases, it says "/etc/dhcp/dhcpd6-failover.conf line 74: fail
over peers may only be defined in shared-network (line before the
failover peer line quoted in here) declarations and the outer scope."

Is this a bizarre way of dhcpd to say "failover not implemented for
IPv6", or am I doing something wrong?

If failover should work for IPv6, I'll post a more verbose message
here giving configuration and the corresponding error message, but I'd
like to know that I'm not fighting a lost cause here.

If somebody has configuration for working failover with IPv6 handy,
I'd appreciate sharing of configuration.

Thanks in Advance.

Grüße
Marc

Re: DHCP Failover with IPv6 on dhcpd 4.3.2

Shawn Routhier
There isn’t a failover protocol defined for DHCPv6 yet and so
dhcpd doesn’t attempt to implement failover for DHCPv6.

Shawn

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 12:48:12AM -0700, Shawn Routhier wrote:
> There isn’t a failover protocol defined for DHCPv6 yet and so
> dhcpd doesn’t attempt to implement failover for DHCPv6.

Ouch. And I assumed that the v4 failover protocol would seamlessly
port to v6.

The DHCP server should give less bizarre error messages in that case.

What is the recommended way to get DHCP redundancy for IPv6? Disjoint
ranges with the price of clients changing IP addresses in case of DHCP
server failure?

Greetings
Marc

Re: DHCP Failover with IPv6 on dhcpd 4.3.2

Simon Hobson
Marc Haber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the recommended way to get DHCP redundancy for IPv6? Disjoint
> ranges with the price of clients changing IP addresses in case of DHCP
> server failure?

Yes - the same as in IPv4, just configure more than one server, each with the same subnets but with non-overlapping ranges. Adjust your lease times to balance being able to "ride out" short server outages (and hence client address changes) which favours long lease times, with the ability to recover leases and/or change things which favours short lease times.